1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hartford Courant ditches last pro beat....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Jan 23, 2009.

1. spankys

spankys Member

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Heck, there'll be some suburban shoppers that have better sports coverage. I hope that 10 doesn't include copy editors

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

IF I lived in Hartford, perish the thought, I wouldn't get the paper. Just the Times and Wall Street Journal.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Ugh. Another reason the paper isn't worth getting anymore.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As Peter Reigert said, in Animal House:

"A new low . . . "

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Is it really?

If cutting those pro beats gives the paper a chance to cover college sports and UConn in general and do so in a professional, big time way, I don't know that it is such a bad thing.

It is from the standpoint that there have been cuts in staffing -- but as far as using the resources to make sure the bread and butter is taken care of, I don't think this is the most horrible thing I've read.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sad, of course . . . but the city doesn't have a pro team.

Did whoever was covering those pro beats at one time regularly beat the NY and Boston writers for stories? If not, then the only thing lost is the "our guy was there" mystique that always was more window dressing than substance anyway.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Wolf Pack are a pro team. Or do they not count because it's the American Hockey League rather than the NHL?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I used to work for Continental Airlines. Our CEO at the time was Gordon Bethune.

Gordon had a saying that you could, “continue to take ingredients off of a pizza to save money but at some point it’s no longer a pizza.”

If you want someone to buy your pizza, there better at least be some cheese and sauce on it.

If you want someone to read your sports pages in New England, you better have some Red Sox coverage in it.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

They already covered UConn in a professional, big-time way.

Must wean my dad off the habit of reading The Courant. I just must.

11. Yes, because god knows, we don't want original reporting or writing in any of our local newspapers about anything except events we can hit with a rock from the front steps of the office.
    Why the hell shouldn't the beancounters believe they can do this, if so many people in our business essentially agree with them?

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Exactly.

And yes, I'm agreeing with YankeeFan.

Draft saved Draft deleted