1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Smith Leaving CBS News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Deeper_Background, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Report: Harry Smith To Leave
    CBS News; Joining NBC’s New
    Brian Williams Primetime Show
    Mediaite, by Mark Joyella
    [​IMG]

7/8/2011 10:59:00 AM

Harry Smith, who was replaced in January as co-host of CBS’ Early Show in the struggling morning show’s most recent makeover, will leave the network and join NBC News, where TV Guide reports he will be a part of the upcoming primetime news hour hosted by NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams, set to debut this fall. Smith joined CBS News in 1986 as a Dallas-based reporter and was named a correspondent in March 1987, reporting primarily for the CBS Evening News. Prior to that, he was a reporter and anchor for KMGH-TV, the CBS affiliate in Denver http://www.mediaite.com/tv/report-harry-smith-to-leave-cbs-news-joining-nbcs-new-brian-williams-primetime-show/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I hope the pressure doesn't get to him, knowing that more than ten people will be tuning in.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Glad he'll get to sleep in. I always figured he would have been a natural for Sunday Morning if Osgood ever retires.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

They won't be, once they realize Harry's on board. He's the news equivalent of Ted McGinley.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What I find amazing about Harry Smith is that I remember when he was an A.M. disc jockey in Denver and was demoted from afternoon drive to midday. Then he drifts into public television and then anchors the noon news on the lowest rated station. But he winds up on the network and almost immediately spends most of the last 25 years anchoring a national broadcast while getting his butt kicked in the ratings. And now he is in primetime. Screw up, move up.

6. DanOregon

Harry has always been one of those "innings-eaters" that populate the TV landscape.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Despite it all, he's one of the class acts in the business and does his job. Screw up and move up? Nah, it's making lemonade out of bad apples. Can't blame him if CBS has been piss-poor in the morning show circus forever.

Dan, if Osgood does retire from Sunday Morning, CBS would be foolish not to give it to Harry.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sorry, but this doesn't wash. He's been the anchor for that circus for a total of 18 years over two stints. He absolutely gets to carry some of the blame for the CBS futility in the morning. He's been the face of that futility.

There are certain qualities need to be a successful morning anchor and Harry has none of them. He's fine as a reporter or regular hard news anchor. As a morning anchor he exudes "I don't give a shit."

9. DanOregon

I don't think its the people in front of the camera. They've had people who have been successful elsewhere: Bryant Gumbel, Meredith Vierra, Dianne Sawyer... the only consistency in the program is constant change and finishing in third place.
    I always thought CBS would be wise to grab Robin Meade from Headline News, if nothing else, she seems to have a following.

Draft saved Draft deleted