1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Reid getting a pass

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Oct 16, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Uh, Hondo? Any reaction? No one here is defending Reid, despite your assertation to the contrary.

Usually I await your responses in these matters to see what you'll pull out of the hat, and you usually don't disappoint. Something along the lines of, "But Clinton got a blowjob!" or "You lefties in the media," or "Democrats should know better," or "But Clinton got a blowjob!"

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

On the upside at least it's not Hondo's daily rant about Muslims and how they all want to kill him and his family.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Everyone all together now ....

WAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Like I always say ... two can play this game.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Could have just as easily been my family or yours on board one of those four planes on 9-11.
    Or has that day already slipped your selective memory?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Been away a few days...after all, I have a job.

If anyone in those examples you give are guilty, string 'em up. Lock 'em up. I'm all for corruption being punished on either side of the aisle. But you keep downplaying Reid's deal, and it's just as sordid as the rest.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

At least Reid's not a racist, and isn't pandering to racists.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What day? Something happened to four planes?

Did one of them fly from Toronto? I'm confused.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You're a class act.
    (dripping sarcasm here).

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Better than being a one trick pony.

Dimwit.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

In and around the same period this was posted about Reid...

1. FBI agents raided the offices of the daughter of Republican Congressman Curt Weldon. (who actually has, to be fair, questioned some of Bush's foreign policy decisions) concerning lobbyist deals and that appears headed for some sort of criminal probe.

2. Lester Crawford, the former head of the FDA appointed by Bush, was getting set to plead guilty to not disclosing information he was required to concerning conflict of interest because of his ownership of stock in Pepsi. The result of this affected the labels where a 20 ounce bottle of soda contains information about calories which would indicate a lot fewer calories because of the serving size.

3. You also had continuing stories about what Dennis Hastert knew and when he knew it concerning problem with Mark Foley. That story didn't die because it raised questions about the use of power. If Hastert had stepped down as Speaker of the House, the Foley story probably wouldn't have continued as it did - an example is when Robert Livingston resigned as Speaker of the House in 1998 after a sex scandal.

If none of those stories happened, the story of Reid would undoubtedly would have received more play. But the story isn't bigger than any of those stories plus the fact that Reid is a Minority Leader and doesn't have the same level of influence, especially in a White House which is less bipartisan than any since World War 2.

It might be that the Republicans are running into bad luck. When the Justice Department announced the indictment in California about an American spokesman for al-Quida for treason, that was the day of Cory Lidle's plane crash.

11. hondo -
    It's not remotely the same thing. Reid transferred ownership from himself to an LLC, and he bungled the paperwork. The transaction didn't profit a cent from his office, and the mistake didn't make him any money either. Unless you're willing to argue that Hastert accidentally put in an earmark for a federal highway that ended up enriching the value of his land, they-all-do-it doesn't cover the facts here.
    Now, if you want to talk about Congressman Cash In The Freezer from Louisiana, you and I can agree.

12. AA, I don't agree with you on much, but you might be the most intellectually honest person on this board.

Draft saved Draft deleted