1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Reid getting a pass

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Oct 16, 2006.

1. The land deal is a misbegotten AP story run amok...much like an early misbegotten NYT story concerning a land deal in Arkansas.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Those two items are mutually exclusive.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

These guys could have had a longer run -- if they hadn't been such pigs.

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Harry Reid getting a pass? Jesus, the story was released less than three fucking hours ago.

"It's because he's a Democrat." Pathetic.

Considering John Solomon's batting average on his other attempted hit pieces -- He made money on land he didn't own! He's in bed with Abramoff! He illegally accepted free boxing tickets! -- looks he finally got one past the pitcher's mound. But by all means, righties, put your eggs in the basket of the $3,000 Reid is giving back.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The GOP is walking a fine here: They can go after Reid and force him to step down...and watch Hillary take his place.
    Smart Republicans are thinking before they speak about Reid.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Joe doesn't like it when Democrat corruption is pointed out. As with most lefties, it's politics before principle.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Ah, dude, this broke last Thursday in the Las Vegas papers. Shows you how much emphasis the national media puts on something when it doesn't involve a GOP.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You don't give two shits because it's one of your guys. Tell me right now, with a straight face, that you wouldn't be screaming bloody murder about Republican corruption if this were Lott, First or McCain?
    If you do, you're a bleeping liar.

And what's this "I've been around," shit? Let us all know how long we have to "be around" before we're allowed to comment on politics in your mighty presence.

9. Actually, I'd be screaming because Denny (I zee nothink!) Hastert actually bought land and arranged for its value to rise by situating a highway through it.
    In this episode, Reid owned land, sold it to an LLC, and then sold it again. Period. He reported it to the Ethics committee and left a small hole in the paperwork. The original AP story was about as weaselly as Jeff Gerth's first Whitewater piece in the NYT was, but keep digging. Curt Weldon's daughter's house got raided by the FBI tonight, and John Doolittle's lawyer is talking to the Feds about his dealings with Jack Abramoff, and Ken Mehlman arranged for the continuation of sexual slavery in the Marianas out of gratitude to his good friend Jack, whom he now does not remember having over for dinner.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was kinda wondering where Hondo's moral outrage was when the news about Dennis Hastert's land deal hit.
    Guy went from being a high school wrestling coach to a multi-millionaire congressman by having a freeway re-routed through property he owned, and he sold the property for millions as a result.
    I'm assuming that, somehow, Bill Clinton was involved.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

But, hey . . . according to the Jug-Eared Loon, Denny's doing a helluva job.

Draft saved Draft deleted