1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Reid getting a pass

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Oct 16, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/16/D8KPUR0G2.html

And don't tell me most of the media isn't downplaying this. The Washington Post has been hammering George Allen for a lot less.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Silly boy, of course he's getting a pass. He's a Democrat.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, that guy tipped the staff in his building! Asshole!

You're really reaching, hondo. Enjoy watching the returns in November.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't care:

A. You're not allowed to tip the staff in a building you live with your campaign's money.
    B. They were hardly five-buck tips. They were Christmas bonuses totaling $3,500.
    C. You're also ignoring the sweetheart land deal in which he raked in millions, and is now hurridly filing an amended financial report with the Senate.
    D. If a GOP Senator had done this, he would have already been forced to resign by now.

And by the way...why am I an asshole for wondering why a Democratic Senator isn't held to the same standards as a Republican lawmaker?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

MSNBC and CNN have been hammering it, pretty good.

Crooks is crooks . . . though, Hon, your (D) is pure partisan horseshit overstatement. Come back to us.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Does your characterization of it as "pure partisan horseshit overstatement" mean it didn't happen?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, I think the fact that you had a story to link too means your martyr complex-o-meter might need some fine-tuning.

Voters don't care about Harry Reid's land deals. Oh, and Republicans lost a lot of credibility in the whole land-deal thing. Perhaps you remember the 1990s.

The guy tipped his condo staff three grand over three years from campaign funds. Want to bet that you can find similar or worse uses of campaign money by every single lawmaker in America, Democrat, Repbulican or Independent?

If this is the best you've got, you're already beaten.

And you know it. So sit down and take your beating.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Would it make you feel better if I say bring the same hammer to this guy as they do for others? Because it seems like you're assuming we'd automatically give this guy a pass. Of course, because some in the media are doing it, you assume we all do it.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

On it's face, this is wrong, crooked politics, no matter what party he's from. Something happening in the 1990s doesn't change what Reid did ... just as some of you are fond of pointing out that the conduct of Gerry Studds, Barney Frank or Bill Clinton doesn't give Mark Foley a pass. (Damn...bet you hate it when you can't have it both ways). And by the way...get off this "tipping the condo staff" thing (I would live to get those kind of tips). The issue is making millions on a land deal where it should have been in the low six figures. The condo staff "tips" is only a small part of this and no, it ain't the best I've got.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sadly, it is the best you have.

Ive been around here for a while, hondo, and you don't get any better than this.

You can go out crying or you can take it like a man, but your party and ideology are going to get smacked down very soon.

I don't give two shits about Harry Reid's land investments.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

In the interest of fairness, party affiliation shouldn't matter in this case. Hondo, please take note. If we'd bust a Republican for this, we should bust a democrat. Plain and simple.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I swear, Hondo is Payne Stewart reincarnated.

Draft saved Draft deleted