1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter VII has a name

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

rpm,

I say he's good. I think Rowling has had too much fun with Snape's character over the course of three books to have him turn out to be evil in the end. I think Dumbledore knew he was dying, and I think perhaps there was a part of Trewalley's profecy that he never told Harry. Dumbledore probably had to die for Voldemort to be defeated, knowing that Harry had to go at things alone. I still think he ordered Snape to go through with their plan to kill him. In HBP, he begs "Please" a couple times to Snape. Dumbledore ain't no punk like that. There is no way he'd beg for his life. I think he's begging for Snape to go through with the plan. It would be a hell of an FU though to have Snape turn out to be evil. But I think it's more likely that he was simply in love with Lilly Potter for a long, long time, and hated James as a result. If he loved Lilly so much, he'll protect Harry in the end.

As for the previous discussion of which is the best book, it's obviously Goblet. Empire Strikes Back is the perfect analogy. Chamber of Secrets is the weakest, in my opinion.

I resisted reading these books for a long time because I dismissed them as kiddie lit. But they're damn good. And I'll be buying Death Hollows the day it comes out too.

One thing I keep reading is that people suspect that Hermione will, in the end, be the real hero of things. That the whole series has been a big Trojan horse, showing you Harry, but setting things up for his death and Hermione's chance to win the day. I don't buy it, and I think much of that stems from reverse-sexism. People suspect that because Rowling is a woman, because she obviously adores Hermione's character, she's setting it up so that she's the hero of the whole thing. I think the whole point of the series might be that courage, above all things, is what counts, and Harry's got guts. Friendships, too. That's obviously important.

I'm thinking that Nelville might play an interesting role before it's all said and done.

2. My guess - Snape was in love with Lilly Potter and when Voldemorte killed the only woman he ever loved - he made an unbreakable oath with Dumbledore to prove he was on his side. Another guess - Snape may have been there when James Potter was killed and Snape may have taken James' invisibility cloak after James' death. Snape may have used that invisibility cloak to watch what Voldemorte did with Lilly and when he killed her Snape may have brought Harry and the invisibility cloak to Dumbledore.

Snape not necessarily good but on same side as Order of Phoenix.

Bonus guess - I think Sirius or Dumbledore comes back as a ghost in book 7

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't think Snape will be shown to be evil in the end. I also don't think Hermione will turn out to be the real hero. The theme of love and sacrifice that runs through the books is all about Harry, not to mention that he fits the exact profile of the hero character in literature.

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Bonus guess - I think Sirius or Dumbledore comes back as a ghost in book 7

I don't think Sirius is really dead, thus the Deadly Hollows reference. I think there is a place between life and death some wizards end up. It's a place Voldermort was looking for. It's also a place where James has been hanging out, I believe. I think James and Sirius aren't really dead. I think Snape know this too and it's been the only thing keeping him at bay.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Snape is a good guy. I'm sure of it. I almost think Dumbledore himself was somehow a horcrux. Either that, or his death was faked.

I also think we'll see Draco Malfoy turn hero in some way and save Potter.

I think the main character that dies in No. 7 will be Ron Weasley.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I agree on the Ron prediction. I think he's a goner.

I also think there's no way Snape is a genuine bad guy. Harry (I think) overheard him in HBP telling Dumbledore he didn't want to keep doing what he was doing. I think that was referring to the unbreakble oath he made -- he didn't want to be responsible for Dumbledore's death.

I disagree about Malfoy. Rowling has said he's evil.

Harry Potter and a Voyager thread... I am a geek.

7. Double Down

I've read interviews where Rowling said Dumbledore is, unequivocally, dead. Dead, dead, dead. He can come back in one of those pictures, like in his office, and his death wasn't faked. That would be too cheezy.

I want to see Ginny Weasley kick more ass. I think she's my favorite minor character. Red heads with sass have always gotten a bad rap. Even I was pumped up when Harry finally kissed her and Ron just sort of shrugged his shoulders in HBP after the Quiddich match.

I think Arthur Weasley gets killed early on, uniting all the Weasley kids (except punk ass Percy, or course) in a quest to beat down Voldemort. I don't think the kids go back to school, but it wouldn't surprise me if the whole climatic scene plays itself out in Hogwarts, especially since they're always talking about how special Hogwarts was to old Tommy Riddle.

If Ron dies, right as he and Hermione are about to finally hook up, Harry sure as hell better not fall in love with Hermione. That would be not cool at all. Dump your best friend's little sister, then hook up with his girl after he dies? Very bad form.

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

One of the Weasleys has to go. I don't think it's dad though. Ron makes the most sense. It will give Hermione a reason to kill. Harry has a reason. Neville has a reason. Hermione doesn't.
    An aside: J.K. Rowling doesn't seem like the type of woman who thinks she needs a man to define her. Her heroines don't need them either. Hermione would be and is going to be a complete woman whether she ends up with Ron or Harry or Victor Krum or whoever. It's not important. What is important is that Hermione make her own decisions and live with the consequences.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My guess is that she won't kill off Ron. It's too obvious. It's almost expected.

10. Double Down

Well said, rpm. Like the stuff about Hermione.

Some interesting stuff on wikipedia compiled by others far more obsessed than us about this stuff from various interviews with Rowling over the past couple years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Deathly_Hallows

11. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Ron must die. Not only as a literary rule -- the sidekick always dies -- but as a motivational device and unifying course of action. The Weasleys, the kids at school, the ministry even, would rally around the death of Ron. He has to die.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I say we feed him to the spiders. What do you think, Ron?

[​IMG]

;D

Draft saved Draft deleted