1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter Premiere

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

That's what I thought at first, too, but we haven't seen him since the 2nd movie. And Rowling specifically said they had to put Kreacher in the most recent movie cause he was really needed for the rest of the series. I don't see anything noteworthy in 6, so I'm assuming he does something big/good in 7.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Dobby's in 4,5 and 6 (books). In 6 (Half Blood), both he and Kreacher follow Malfoy for Harry. As as far as helping Harry, Kreacher has to, now. He's the heir of the Black family. That's why he submitted and followed Malfoy for Harry. Still, I think that it's more likely Dobby.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I hope so, cause I really like Dobby. I'm just wondering what important role Kreacher has to play. Maybe betraying location of the OotP's headquarters?

4. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

I saw it last night. Loved the visuals, didn't love the omissions.

I understand every single word of the books can't wind up on the screen. But there's a way to stay true to the spirit of the book and edit it for time constraints without chopping the story to shreds (See: Rings, Lord of).

With the unbelievable success of LOTR, I find it hard to believe there isn't more of a backlash from HP fans about how their books are hacked up. LOTR proved that if the material is solid enough and the filmmaker is talented enough, people will sit through three hours if their story is translated properly.

The filmmakers may argue that they're trying to make a movie that will appeal to everyone, not just hardcore fans, but I can't imagine how someone who didn't read the Order of the Phoenix could keep up with everything that was thrown at them. And besides, HP books have sold, what, about 1 billion copies worldwide? If even half of those readers are hardcore fans, the movie's a guaranteed smash. What's wrong with giving them what they want?

5. They could make that argument, but the amount of money LOTR made would disprove it.

6. Wife finally saw this at IMAX. She's a HP scholar and absolutely loved it more than any of the other films. Acknowledged a lot was cut out but said the stuff they left in was completely amazing.

7. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Oh, I'm not saying I hated it, write-brained. I just wish more of what I liked from the book had ended up on the screen.

I'd rank it as the best of the bunch, but since I've been griping about the same thing after each movie, that's kind of damning it with faint praise.

8. Oh, I wasn't responding to you ... didn't have time this afternoon to read the thread ... just wanted to give a second-hand account of my wife's experience.

9. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Saw it last night. I was a little disappointed at parts, but only because I had read the book and remembered a bunch of little details. If I hadn't read the book, I think I would have loved the movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted