1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter Premiere

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Anybody going to see the new HP movie at midnight tomorrow? If so, what are your expectations?

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Re: Harry Potter Premier

NERD ALERT!

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

So? ;)

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Where was Harry Potter elected Premier?

Canada, I'm looking in your direction.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm wondering if the Premier will attend the premiere.

EDIT: Damn you, Doc. ;)

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I won't be there tomorrow, but I'll probably see it for my birthday. Birthday plans are still up in the air, though.

I'm looking forward to it.

7. Re: Harry Potter Premier

It'll have some neat scenes and it will also leave out some very important scenes from the book. In short, it will be just like every other HP movie.

Oh, it will also have some bad acting by kids.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Eye em uhshamed.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Bought three tickets to a special screening through the local Planetarium. Uma, Uma, Jr. and a friend will be taking in a matinee tomorrow at 1 p.m.

I'll post all the spoilers now, though ...

Harry saves the day! And gets the girl! Woohoo!

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Indeed, the films do not hold up to deep analysis. All I remember about the last one is that the Quidditch World Cup got very short shrift, and Voldemort pulled a Bond Villain, gloating when he should have been killing Harry.

Oh, and the sequence where they had to save people, and I thought Harry clearly cheated when he turned into a sea creature. Or was that in the third film?

And I'm convinced there's about 40 minutes of the third film lying in a vault somewhere, explaining why after Hogwarts stood for millennia, it all of a sudden got remodeled, and explaining for the non-book readers who the dudes listed in the map were. The series was skating along until that movie sent it off track. As if the director wanted to make HIS Harry Potter movie, with no thought to what came before or what was to come after.

Because of that change in directors for one movie, the series has been damn disjointed at times. And the DVDs, which should each be Lord of the Rings-esque in their inclusion of a crazy number of deleted scenes, have been a large missed opportunity. They should have filmed as much as possible, then save it for the DVD.

I'll see the new one, obviously. My wife loves the books. With any luck, I'll remember some of it.

11. I'm a huge fan of the LOTR movies and books, and a big fan of the HP books, and just a fan of these movies.
    Follow all that? Do you care? Probably not.
    But my point is, it is amazing to me how well they did the LOTR movies. They actually lived up to the hype of the books, and that just doesn't happen these days.
    If Hollywood is smart, it will start doing things more like they did with LOTR, where they not only take great stories and turn them into great movies, but go all out and give the die-hard fans as much as they can.
    Really, who wouldn't pay a little extra for an extra hour or two on an epic/series that they loved?

12. Good point. The director of the fourth movie actually filmed more of the Quidditch scenes but cut them out because Warner Brothers didn't think fans would sit through a three-hour film. Why not? They'll sit through a 7-hour book without taking a shit ...

Draft saved Draft deleted