1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter, Deathly Hallows (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Re: Harry Potter, Deathly Hollows (spoilers allowed)

I can't believe you even looked on this thread.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Since I know you all care deeply, I'm off for Barnes and Noble. Catch y'all when I'm done.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If Wikipedia is right, Keith Olbermann had the finale somewhat nailed. Though I must confess I didn't understand much of the plot synopsis since I haven't read any of the books.

4. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Posting to get this bad boy back on the first page ..... I can't really be the first one to have finished the damn thing, can I?

5. sportschick

No. I finished it at about 7:15 a.m. MDT, but sleep beckoned.

Wouldn't have guessed one of the twins as the Weasley to bite it, but Mrs. Weasley killing Bellatrix was brilliant. Her children were always what really mattered to her.

Harry's death and resurrection were a bit too much like Aslan's in the Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe for me though.

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

I anticipated at least one of the twins dying, if not both. My first reaction was that Jo had originally planned to kill off both twins, but swapped out George for Lupin and Tonks instead. (so sad for baby Teddy, it's Harry all over again, but younger). I wonder if JKR will address on her website what changes she'd made from the story as she'd originally envisioned it, those many years ago.

7. sportschick

I had Tonks and Lupin dying, but I really thought it'd be Mr. Weasley and Percy who died.

I was sort of disappointed that she had Lupin and Tonks have a kid and then killed them both off. That seems horribly cruel.

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I was pleased that I correctly predicted the epilogue with Harry and Jenny/Ron and Hermoine as grown ups. And I did predict that Snape would turn out to be heroic.
    Of course, this is also a series of books aimed at children and teens...of course it wouldn't end with Harry dead, Voldemort ruling the world and Ron and Draco as lovers.

9. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

Yeah, there wasn't too much that surprised me, but I thought it was really, really good - my favorite of all the books. If they don't do this movie right people will be furious -- and I'm curious to know how they'll do it in under 4 hours (some of those scenes will be absolutely amazing).

(spoiler to follow)

I'm not sure why, but I really felt it when Dobby died. I pretty much expected one of the twins, Lupin and others, but didn't see that coming.

10. Re: Harry Potter, Deathly Hollows (spoilers allowed)

Everyone in my house has read the damned thing except me.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My wife was proven correct on Snape. Good times.

12. Re: Harry Potter, Deathly Hollows (spoilers allowed)

Couldn't agree more. Dobby was the most touching death of this book. Maybe it was because it was unexpected, maybe it was heroic final acts or maybe it was because most of the other days came during the finale, leaving them as secondary to the cause.

I really loved this book, I couldn't put it down. A very fitting end indeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted