1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter, Book VII (please refrain from spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jul 11, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: Harry Potter, Book VII (predictions, reviews, rants and raves)

Sirius passed through the veil to the otherside.

Luna's quote actually echos something that Dumbledore said in the first or second book, that when those we love leave us, they're never really gone in our hearts.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Damn, JRoyal, your killing off muther(shut yo mouth!)f'ers left and right. We can't have kids all crying and shit! (Actually, we can, and that would be totally interesting.) I wonder about the possibilities of the series having a darker ending. Even though it's a kids' book, it obviously aspires to be something a bit more. I wonder how people would react if Harry, Ron, Ginny, and half the Order of Phoenix were killed, leaving only poor Hermione to sort out the mess. (Hermione is the one character I guarantee will live to the end of the book.)

I seem to remember Rowling saying in an interview that the final word in the final book was going to be "scar." Don't know if she went ahead and did that, but it does make you think.

If nothing else, I just think it's kind of cool that the book's release is an "event." It proves that books do still matter and are relevant, even if they're kids books.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fantasy/sci-fi bores me to tears, and I make fun of my wife on a daily basis for being so into the books and movies.

But in all seriousness, I could not agree more with you: Anything that gets kids excited about reading is awesome. The thought of teens and pre-teens counting down the minutes until book seven comes out is reassuring. Hell, I wish I had a series like that when I was a kid.

4. Re: Harry Potter, Book VII (predictions, reviews, rants and raves)

I saw interview with Rowling recently that said more than two characters will die, but it's not a bloodbath.
    She also said she rewrote the final chapter (which she claims was written years ago, like when she wrote the first book) and the final word is no longer scar, though that is near the end.

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Draco will play a role in Voldemort's demise, just not intentionally.

After screwing up whatever task he has been assigned during the final showdown, Draco will be offed by Voldemort ("You have failed me for the last time!!!!"). Papa Malfoy takes a shot at Voldemort in a vain effort to save Draco, and at the same instant Harry/Neville/Hermione/Ron/Ginny/Luna, et al. get(s) off the lucky shot(s) that end(s) it all.

Harry and Ginny then go on to sire the greatest dynasty of seekers quidditch has ever seen, while Ron still can't figure out why Hermione is being so pissy and dies a lonely, bitter old wizard.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Harry dies in a very large F-YOU to anyone who would try to gravytrain the name decades from now, a la Scarlett and The Godfather sequels.

7. sportschick

Recently J.K. Rowling has implied (or said stuff that was open to the interpretation) that she'd be up for writing more Potter books after this one.

If what she implied is true, Harry must live, unless he impregnates Ginny or Cho in this book, which is possible, I guess, I mean they are English.

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

She said seven books. It would seem a money grab to go further.

It would make sense to continue with what happens to these kids after school. But they need to announce it soon.

9. sportschick

Truthfully, I don't think she writes any more Potter books, but it is something to think about when predicting Harry's death. I also don't think Harry dies. I think Ron does, and then Hermione marries Viktor, who seems to be a better match for her.

Although I do like the idea of Harry knocking up one or both girls from a strictly purient POV.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Here's a fun read from the Washington Post on the guy who brought HP to the U.S.: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/10/AR2007071002011.html?hpid=topnews

I'm jealous of his line of work.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Ain't nobody getting impregnated, unless there is a lengthy epilogue, years in the future. Hermione and Ginny are, what, 16 and 15?

And chick, all dure respect, but Viktor and Hermione, a good fit? Are you serious? The smartest character in the whole series ending up with the wizard who is good-looking but dumb as a box of rocks? (He can't even pronounce her name.) Please don't project your own fantasies onto the series. :D

We've had 1,500 pages of Hermione and Ron making googly eyes at one another. If Ron dies, I just hope Hermione and Harry don't end up together, because that would be real bush league to have Harry betray his mate like that.

12. sportschick

And Ron's smart?

Even if Ron dies, I think Harry winds up with Ginny, although we won't really know since they'll still be teenagers at the end of the book.

Draft saved Draft deleted