1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter 7, Part 1

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pilot, Nov 19, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Many decades later than all you muggles once my latent wizarding ability shows up.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Theater was about half full Sunday for a 2:45 showing.
    Entertaining, plenty of action. I like that better than the mental stuff.
    Funniest part: When Ron returned to the campsite, after they retrieved the sword and destroyed the locket, he was groveling to explain himself and reconnect with Hermione.
    A guy sitting behind me said (loud enough for much of the theater to hear), "Damn, Hermione, just forgive him!!"

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's a line in the book where it says Hermione sits down in the tent and crosses her arms and legs so tightly that she looks like she may never come unwound.

To which a commenter I was reading once replied: "Poor Ron."

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Went and saw it this weekend and generally agree with your take. The casting is fantastic. The adult actors/actresses are all amazing.

My roomate saw it this weekend, and when we talked about it today, she thought it was the greatest thing ever. I thought it dragged at parts. I didn't think it was bad by any stretch of the imagination -- it was a good movie, but hardly a great one. Definitely not the best in the series, IMHO.

I'll ADD: To point No. 5, I'll agree that the Ministry of Magic scene was great -- the best in the movie, if you ask me -- I'd add that I think the second best scene was the animated tale of the three brothers.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The middle drags, perceptably.

Faster pacing please. And more than three laughs. Thanks. Carry on.

6. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I did like the story of the brothers. I thought that was really cool.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I thought it was done impeccably. Really made me think of something Tim Burton-esque.

8. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Quite Burton-esque. I thought it was quick and to the point, but included all of the necessary details. And fit perfectly with Voldy searching for the Elder Wand. That all went together really well.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I thought this one would be problematic, and it was -- too much whining. Last one should be good.

I was going nuts trying to figure out who was playing Luna Lovegood's father, had to look it up later: Rhys Ifans.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

More laughs? Really? This was a very dark book, and so in turn it's not surprising that it's a dark movie.

I thought it was well-done and definitely the best of the series. However, that wasn't exactly a high hurdle to clear.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I haven't seen #6 yet, but read all of them. Would you wait to see 7?

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I would go rent 6 this week (I'm sure it's at a Redbox), watch 7 next weekend. At least by the end of the weekend, it will have died down a bit. We went to the 5:45 show in town here Sunday night and it was sold out by 5:15...so we had to wait an hour to see the 6:15 showing and even it was packed to the gills by the time the final preview ran.

Draft saved Draft deleted