1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter 7, Part 1

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pilot, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Pilot

Pilot Active Member

Anyone else hit a midnight showing? I have to imagine I wasn't alone in that. I was amazed how packed the theater was. I also went to a midnight showing of Iron Man 2 and it was my six friends and about three other people in the theater. Potter, in two theaters tonight, wasn't sold out, but at 75% full, the place was as packed as I've ever seen it.

And the film was fucking excellent. I hate that it's part one of two, but, damn, good, good stuff. Great directing, solid acting, great cinematography. They managed to make a fairly boring half of a book good. Just a great show. Can't wait for Part 2.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm surprised, but everyone I know who saw it is raving about how good it was. I thought that, since the book was so damn dull at the beginning, the movie would be a bit of a dud. Apparently not.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

The morning new here in Cincy talked to folks who were just emerging from the 3 a.m. showing. I repeat: 3 a.m. showing.

And there were a ton of people filing out of the theatre.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm kinda of on the side of your expectations amreader. It wasn't bad, but all the good stuff in the first half of the book was expository and either didn't translate well or they just had to skip past. They got the job done, but it wasn't all that exciting.

Some nerd thoughts:

1) The casting is excellent as always. I had trouble picturing Scrimgeour when I read the books, but the guy they got to play him was perfect.

2) The scene at the beginning with Hermione obliviating her parents was a great way to start. A good departure from the book, when it was only mentioned in passing.

3) The scene leaving the Dursley's house and getting ambushed sucked.

4) Ron and Harry look way too old to play 17. Hermione is still mostly credible. The twins are 18 in the book and look 30. Can't be helped, but it was a little jarring sometimes.

5) The Ministry of Magic was one of the best scenes in the movie and involved three completely different actors, which I found funny.

6) They went way, way farther than I would have guessed before cutting it off. I was imagining they'd cut off right after the locket was destroyed. All they really have left now is Gringotts, the Battle of Hogwarts and the aftermath. Should be nicely action-packed.

7) I was hoping they'd find a way to squeeze in the flashback to Harry's parents murders from Voldemort's perspective, but I understand why they didn't.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why? Too violent?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Not key to the plot.

7. billikens

billikens Member

Those were added late due to necessity. In most major markets (and even many of the smaller markets) the midnight shows were sold out two weeks ago. The 3 a.m. shows were added to appease demand from people who still wanted to come see it opening night.

In most cases, the theatre staff didn't leave. They stuck around long enough to close out Thursday's business, clean up, and open the doors for Friday.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Just got back and liked it.

I agree with RickStain on the scene leaving the Dursley's was downplayed some. In the book there was a moment with Harry and his aunt that should have been filmed better.

I wondered how they would handle the whole wedding seeing as how Bill has been throughout the books but not the movies. I guess it worked OK.

Although his role wasn't big, Alan Rickman gets better with each film. Radcliffe hasn't grown nearly as much as an actor at Grint has. Emma Watson is gettin all nice n growed up real good.

I thought they picked a good, natural break.

I hated the six months worth of camping and hundreds of pages on it in the book, but thought the movie flowed real well and there was stuff going on.

I wished they would have had Tom Riddle's family back story in there - his mother/father/grandfather, etc. It is important. (Maybe that wasn't in the Deathly Hallows book but in Half Blood Prince ... either way, would like to see it). Guess it could be in Part 2.

Not enough was done - and by that I mean basically nothing - with Kreacher warming up to Harry because of the locket.

9. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

At our 16-plex here, 14 of them were the midnight show. all down to single-seating (outside of the 2 rows in the very front where you break your neck looking at the screen). And two more 3 a.m. screenings. Lobby was plenty full when we were leaving.

10. Wenders

Wenders Active Member

Scrimgeour is played by the fabulous Bill Nighy. He was Davy Jones in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (the one with the tentacles on his face) and was washed-up singer Billy Mack in Love Actually.

I really think the three kids have gotten legions better over the course of the series. Dan Radcliffe actually knows how to cry now. The final scene was just heartbreaking.

The part of leaving the Dursleys that I wanted to see was Dudley and Harry shaking hands and Dudley acknowledging that Harry had saved his life.

Shoeless -- the Voldemort backstory was supposed to be part of Half-Blood Prince, with Deathly Hallows saying a lot about Dumbledore's past. A lot of that is being forgotten as well.

However, this was the absolute latest in the book that they could break it without abruptly ending the action. The next parts involve them planning and breaking into Gringott's and then it goes from there to Hogwarts. It's going to be an action-packed ending.

11. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I liked it much better than HBP (the film). I thought it was better emotionally, though I was really disappointed in the Dursleys' departure.

One thing I HATED about HBP was the when Dumbledore died, I absolutely didn't care. When I read the book, I cried over his funeral, which was skipped in the movie.

Dobby's death was far more emotionally gratifying.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

You want a spoiler? Here's a spoiler: You will die alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted