1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Potter 6 pushed back to Summer '09

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Aug 14, 2008.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of Harry Potter, but I found this to be an interesting read.

Apparently the newest film, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," is completed and ready for release. Warner brothers, however, has decided to push it back from a planned late November release date to July 17th of next year.

Here's a quote from WB president Alan Horn:

Here's the article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080814/ap_on_en_mo/film_harry_potter

So, is it just me or is this a pretty big F-you to the fans? I mean, it's pretty messed up to say "Yeah, we're done, but you've got to wait because we want to make more money" and from what I've read, that's pretty much the reason.

Any thoughts?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

For the most part, Potter movies started as holiday movies. In that slot, they could quietly make a lot of money while competing against the Oscar Grab movies.

Not sure how delaying this film helps at all, other than to put more time and distance between its release and the release of the final book, and thus give people time to have their enthusiasm for the series dampened.

3. schiezainc

I'm just trying to think of a comparable move. Yes, I get that Potter fans are going to go regardless. But to me, the casual movie goer, I doubt I'll have any interest in the series at that point.

4. calibretto

calibretto Member

this just ruined my entire fall.

5. Dude, that.... sucks.

6. There is going to be some major backlash on this one. The film is done now and they are making the fans wait almost an entire year?
    Maybe they saw those Dark Knight dollars and think they can grab some, but Harry Potter has become a kind of holiday tradition (though the last film was released last summer to coincide with the release of the last book). They shouldn't screw with that.
    I hope it bites them in the ass.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Fucking lame.

They might try hiding behind the "kids are out of school and can go to the midnight premiere" defense, though.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

And millions of virgins weep silently. :D

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I just assumed they wanted to wait until Dark Knight got out of the multiplex.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

What are they going to do, kill off the actor?

11. schiezainc

Paging Mary Kate, Paging Mary Kate........

12. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

This makes me mad because there wasn't any delays. They've already released an official trailer. Now we have to wait another YEAR? I hate Warner Brothers. Gah. They've taken my favorite fantasy book series and made a series of terrible movies that I wouldn't go see, but I have an unspoken agreement with my father that I will go see them with him so he doesn't have to read the books (and then I spend another hour or two explaining everything from the books that he didn't understand. All I heard the entire 30-mile car ride home from Prisoner of Azkaban was, "WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DAMN RAT?!")

The question is, how is this going to effect the releases of the two Deathly Hallows movies?

Draft saved Draft deleted