1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Kalas -- Time to go?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Aug 10, 2007.

1. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Bo took a lot of blame for Tom Monaghan's non-management of that franchise. He advocated weight training and took heat for that, and was the Tigers' point man in the first efforts to replace Tiger Stadium, and that made him the anti-Christ for a few years. From what I understand, the station wanted to replace Harwell, and Bo got him another year.

As for Kalas, I lived in Philly for a year, and I know he's an icon there, but I. Can't. Stand. The.Way. He. Draws. Out. And. Pauses. Between. Every. Single. Word. In. Every. Sentence.

Never could.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Well, this is entertaining.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, good to see things stay the same. ;)

4. Notice that Boots said he was through with this topic -- then wet on to make SIX more posts about it, none of which were about the topic at hand, before saying he was finally done with it.

I, for one, don't believe he is done. He never is.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Back to Harry. The only broadcaster Harry worth blustering over, anyway.

Forget "It's Outta Here." "Struck Him Out," in Harry's subtly dismissive, throaty voice that only nicotine can properly fertilize, is the one that sticks with me.

On Times New Roman, now with a permanent home in some of the driest social sciences textbooks, it fits modern newspapers like fingers in a glove. I don't have many personal rules about newspapers, but if it's any Times phyla font, I ain't buying.

6. boots

boots New Member

LJB, this anti-Harry campaign began about three years ago. Has he slipped, yes. But Harry Kalas at his advanced age is still better than many broadcasters around the country.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Perhaps Kalas, similar to some of his apologists simply has no clue when it is time to quit.

8. boots

boots New Member

Could you elaborate?

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

He's been doing it for so long that it's become a way of life and he can't imagine changing.

10. boots

boots New Member

The slips that Harry has made are those made by people all the time. Unfortunately, he's a Hall of Fame broadcaster and people believe he shouldn't make mistakes.
    The many is 71 years old. It's a blessing that he's still doing what he wants to do.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"Wet clean-up on thread five!"

Interestingly sanitized. Where'd all the upset go?

12. markvid

markvid Guest

It's for the best...someone was in a bad mood, and I probably did nothing to help it.

Draft saved Draft deleted