1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Kalas -- Time to go?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I'll hate like hell when Harry goes, whether by his choice or someone else's. I don't get to listen to him as much as I used to, but I maintain that one of life's greatest pleasures is driving with the windows down in the summertime listening to Harry Kalas call a Phillies game.

They had a guy for the past few years I enjoyed - Scott Graham - but they canned him for some reason.

I hope Kalas goes on his terms. He's a landmark, and I believe he deserves that much.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Could be, but having the wrong guy hitting the HR is kind of a major blunder, especially if it's someone as distinctive-looking as Howard.

Haven't heard enough of Harry to determine if he's slipping, but that's definitely not a good sign.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I remember Wheels circa 1974 and '75 as Larry Shenk's assistant in the PR department, publishing the daily "Newsy Notes."

I recall walking into the Phillies press room several years ago and all four announcers were in there -- all at different tables.

4. Damn, I was wondering why no one mentioned Andy Musser's name on here and I just saw that he retired six years ago. I am out of touch, yet I never thought Musser was anywhere as entertaining as Harry and Whitey. I can't place Wheeler ...

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yeah, I sure would love it if Harry Kalas were pushed out. What baseball needs is more guys like Matt Vasgersian and broadcasts freighted with dumb '80s references.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Is Harry as sharp as he used to be? Of course not. Nobody remains as good as they once were as they get up there in years. That's part of life.

Does Harry make some mistakes? Sure. Like someone else wrote there's no delete or backspace key for him to use. He's human. It's as simple as that.

That said, as a lifelong Phillies fan I don't want to see Harry pushed out or become like Phil Rizzuto and basically locked out. Harry deserves to make the call when it's time to call a day.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bob Uecker doesn't haven't an analyst. Never has. Once in a while his partner Jim Powell chimes in, but Uke has the mike to himself during his innings.

Wouldn't have it any other way.

8. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Monte begs to differ. He's not the best colorman in the league for nothing.

9. Kalas should be allowed to stay on for as long as he wants. Who gives a fuck about what critics say--fans love him and that's all that should count. You think the average fan throws up his hands when Kalas makes an error and says "that's it, the game is ruined, i'm watching something else"?

I have the package and watch as many home Phillies games as possible and a big reason for that is that the voice of Harry Kalas reminds me of when i was a kid--reminds me of watching games with my dad and brother--reminds me of when I was first falling in love with this sport. That's what's most important to me and probably the majority of Phillies fans.

The old guard announcers will be gone in a few years--if you're a baseball fan, relish these moments because when it's gone what we're left with is guys yukking it up over their own stupid, childish jokes, trying to make a name for themselves with their catchphrases.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Couldn't have been said any better. Well done!

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fuck that. He's your problem now.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How does Sarge do? I was watching a Cubs-Phillies game last week and he and Bob Brenly switched booths for an inning. I thought Sarge was pretty good while he was on.

Draft saved Draft deleted