1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Kalas -- Time to go?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Aug 10, 2007.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I don't know whether Harry would go for it, but the answer might just be what the Mets and Ralph Kiner have come up with. Bring Ralph in occasionally to tell a few stories and that keeps him and his fans (believe me, he has plenty) happy.

Now the difference is that Ralph was never the prime broadcaster. While he did do play by play, it was hardly his forte, as everyone knows. But he was -- and is -- a good story teller and there's a value to his occasional appearances, malaprops or not.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

I wouldn't say Harry will say when it's time to go; I would say the listeners (and sponsors) would say when it is time to go.

The article cites one incident. If he does 150 games a season, you are going to make mistakes. Newspaper people have always criticized broadcasters for mistakes, but broadcasters don't have a backspace key or editor when they are doing live play-by-play. I always felt that was an unfair criticism - I think if a broadcaster isn't prepared and hasn't done their homework, that is a completely justified and needed criticism.

Chick Hearn toward the end of his career would call players by the wrong first name at times and wasn't always completely sharp - he was in his 80s. It really didn't matter because people love Chick and loved listening to him. It's like your 80-year-old uncle who might forget some things. The recall and mind might not be perfect, but you still love talking sports with him.

The aging parent/grandparent/uncle/aunt is a good analogy for seeing somebody like Dick Clark or Ralph Kiner. It's difficult to see something like that and it can even be a little scary. But somehow, after a while it becomes comforting to see them there. I think someone in their 20s (me when I was in my 20s) might not have as much empathy as someone in their 50's (me right now) because when you are in your 50s, you realize that you might be getting close to that situation and there are more people you know who are in that situation..

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

My knee-jerk reaction was that any thought of kicking Harry to the curb was utter blasphemy. I still remember listening to Harry a few years ago when he was introducing me to a crowd at an awards dinner and he nailed my name perfectly, especially when most people to this day struggle with five simple letters. Definitely one of the best moments of my life.

That being said, I don't want to remember Harry for the flubbed calls and incorrect names. It probably would be best for him to leave, but do it in a way that is respectful and fair to both him and the listeners. And, of course, his last broadcast in Philly should be filled with all the pomp & circumstance the Phillies had for when they closed out the Vet. Only this time, everyone will be sad to see him leave.

Oh, BTW, Harry right now is STILL in a different stratosphere compared to Sterling & Waldmyn at their "peaks." When the Yanks traded for Abreu last year, I complained for about a month that they didn't exchange radio broadcasters as well.

4. I grew up listening to Whitey and Harry. I haven't heard Harry call a Phillies game in years because I'm out of the area but he sounds great doing the NFL recaps (I know, not the same).

Isn't there a way for them to rotate him with someone else until he's ready to go on his terms? No need for him to call the whole game on TV. I thought they used to switch the announcers between TV and radio during the games.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Why don't they just have him do the first and ninth inning?

6. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Doesn't Vin Scully do just the first few innings?

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Never been to Minnesota, but heard a clip of Herb Carneal during his final season behind the mike and thought, "Somebody tell this man it's time to go."
    I grew up with Ken Coleman as the Red Sox' TV announcer, so it was really sad to hear him doing BU football toward the end (unless sabotaging the radio broadcasts was part of John Silber's successful campaign to shut down football).

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Scully does the first 3 innings simulcast on radio and TV, then the final six on TV.
    As an MLB Extra Innings subscriber, I'd say he still has what it takes. He doesn't do the Midwest/East Coast road trips anymore, but is excellent at what he does.

9. Chris Wheeler and Big Sarge, Gary Matthews, Sr. broadcast the 4th, 5th and 6th innings on most telecasts.

My two cents? Fuckwhatchaheard, it's going to be damn tough to replace Harry the K and he should go out on his terms, period.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Get the door it's Domino's. You betcha. How Monaghan and Schembechler managed to co-exist...

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Found this part of the article interesting...

But this season, such gaffes have become harder to ignore, as blown calls, forgotten names and pauses on close plays have led to whispers among local sports-media types that it may be time for Kalas to hit the showers. “If you’re hearing things are slipping,” says a local broadcaster, “you’re right.” One sports analyst puts it a bit more bluntly: “Harry’s a shell of himself.”

"Local broadcaster", "one sports analyst"
    Why not call them what they are? Jealous little brats who could never be as good as Harry was (and still is).

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Chris Wheeler still does Phillies games? I remember him during my youth in the 1980s. Wheels has gotta be getting up there in years too, huh?

Draft saved Draft deleted