1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harry Caray's Diary of a Drunken Man

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 2, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The reason for the journal was not to keep a diary of his drunken life but to substantiate his "entertainment" tax deductions.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I always heard that was Dizzy Dean's line.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The line has been attributed to many different announcers, and is likely an urban legend.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you say "bar tab" backwards, Steve, it sounds like...

Batter rab... tat rab... bat rat... bat rab...

Bat rab, Steve, that's really something.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Chamberlain says he slept with thousands of women, many before the commercial introduction of the birth control pill and to my knowledge, never got hit with a paternity suit. Was Wilt really interested in floozies?

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

For Wilt to put up those kinds of numbers, I would imagine he was interested in practically anything even remotely female.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm pretty certain the "He's from Mexico" line was actually said. There was one other famous line that people always attributed to him, that apparently he never said. I'm spacing it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I worked with an editor who was a huge Caray fan, and the one line he would always say was, "Mota spelled backwards is Atom..."

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I remember hearing him call a Cub player's at bat horrible for looking at a called third to end the game.

C'mon Jose!

One time Jose!

You can do it!

Pop

Dead air

That's horrible.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My favorite Harry story was told by Skip on the air shortly before he (Skip) died. Apparently, Harry was sitting in a hotel bar on the road one night after a long, extra-inning game, with a day game to follow in less than 12 hours.

A woman walked up to Harry and said, "I'll do anything you want for $50."

Harry replied, "How 'bout tomorrow's pre-game show?"

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think it was "South America" not "Mexico"

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Did that a lot in the one year he was with the A's. What a mismatch between the market and even in the booth with Monte Moore.

Draft saved Draft deleted