1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harrisburg Patriot-News to publish three times a week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hang in there Jr./Shotglass.
    With Harrisburg doing it, I feel a tremor in the force. Philly, I don't think, will try it but there's no question the Daily News is taking on a lot of water. It's possible one of the Pittsburgh papers may bite.
    Just awful news. My heart goes out to everyone involved.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Ditto for you and everyone there. Lots of good people at the Patriot-News.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Question: What do you tell a kid who wants to enter this business now?
    Answer: Don't.
    I've seen a lot of changes in the game during my tenure. A few of the old-timers along here know where I'm coming from with this. When daily become weeklies, that's a very bad sign.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Very sorry to see shotty (and anyone else) have to go through this. Hope you find a way to make this work in your favor.

7. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

The corporate line seems to be "The future is digital," but they still don't have a full, workable business model.

Yes, everything will be digital, but I don't think anyone has figured out how to generate the needed revenue on an all-digital platform -- especially for smaller-market newspapers.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Godfuckingdammit. I was hoping the Pulitzer would keep the Advance Digital idiots at bay for a little while, at least.

shots, my heart hurts for you, my old boss, and everyone else involved.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Don't shed any tears for me. I'm not the fatalistic type. ;) One way or another, we'll keep on keepin' on.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

It sorta surprises me that Sara is tweeting so strongly in favor of this.

I wouldn't have expected that.

Shotty: Good luck!

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is a big blow. The newspaper in the capital city of one of our biggest states, the biggest and best newspaper in Central Pennsylvania, the newspaper that earlier this year was extolled for brilliant coverage of a major event is chopped in half. If we needed another reminder that quality means little to newspaper executives, this will suffice.

I hope it all works out, for you and your newspaper, shotglass.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Shotty, I know we've had our differences here, but I've known you were a first rate journalist, and I'll be pulling hard for you and the whole crew. Screw the bastards. Keep doing great work and hopefully the chips come your way.

Draft saved Draft deleted