1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harper's Island

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Apr 9, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As much as CBS has been promoting this, I figure I can't be the only SJer checking it out tonight.

So far, nobody's dead. EDIT: But give it a few minutes.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm Tivoing it. About to go to the gym. I'll watch it tomorrow...which means I can't click on this thread again. :D

3. 2muchcoffeeman

Apparently it's just you and me, so this thread will be on page 4 by the time you watch the episode. :D

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I've got it set to record. Figure it's worth a chance, at least.

Anybody else watch that reality/scripted mystery show in maybe 1999? I can hardly remember anything about it, nor what it was called. The real people interacted with actors and got clues as they went, like a murder mystery theater thing. I remember the guy who won was a New York firefighter to went on to die on 9/11.

5. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

doh, forgot to set the DVR. Hopefully CBS will put it up on its web site tomorrow ... enjoy my agatha christie, figured I'd enjoy this.

6. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

That was Murder in Small Town X, and it aired in '01 - the finale aired a week before Angel (the firefighter who won) was killed in the WTC attacks.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

THANK YOU! It's been driving me crazy trying to think of the details.

And holy crap, the wiki page is ridiculously detailed:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_in_Small_Town_X

8. jps

jps Active Member

gonna try to catch it on the web - my cbs doesn't come in too well with the ol rabbit ears.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Well. One hour and two gruesome murders in, that was ... interesting. Enough to make me go back next week (or whenever it airs next? Maybe, even if I do still mock the blatant ripoff of "Ten Little Indians."

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Had the character at the end of the episode not been murdered, I might not have been back. Not even in my list of top 10,000 actors of all time.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was pretty good. Some ham-handed acting, and at times it seemed as if they were trying to do too much--was it Ten Little Indians meets April Fools Day meets Blair Witch meets Friday The 13th meets fill-in-the-blank romantic serial drama--but the beginning and the end were outstanding. Plus, the daughter of the sheriff is HOT in that dress.

I'll tune in next week.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

And he was the only recognizable name, although I'm not positive I saw the entire cast list.

I knew exactly what to expect when the camera zoomed out on that shot, of course -- but I'm still a little surprised they showed it, even at 10:55 p.m. Then again, I'm not sure the murders were any more grisly than the preceding episode of CSI ...

BTW, for those who missed it, I think they'll eventually be posting the vids here: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/harpers_island/

Draft saved Draft deleted