1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harper to Bono: Drop dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

L7.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Double J,

I want Harper to represent OUR country as respected members of the international commuity. This isn't some hoedown in a church basement in Upper Rubber Boots, Saskatchewan. I mean, let's face it, we're not exactly political heavyweights at this shindig.

There was nothing to be lost for Harper to meet with Bono, but Harper's attitude is a little like Ragu's--dismissive because he is a "celebrity", "just an entertainer", as if that defines the man or his ideas.

Personally, I thought it was typical Harper grandstanding--maybe to prove he's intellectually independent when all it really shows is one of our country's less than admirable qualities: small mindedness and parochialism.

Funny thing is, I couldn't find any mention of this in the Canadian papers or other media.

Besides, if Bush were the intellectual benchmark for this get-together, you don't want to be too exclusive. :)

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is an unfair and wrong characterization of my attitude. I never dismissed Bono's ideas. I dismissed the notion that he merits audiences with heads of state. And I mocked the pretentiousness with which he made this a story.

4. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Buried on page A20 of the Globe & Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/freeheadlines/LAC/20070607/G8BONO07/international/International

Interesting editorial: http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=567171&catname=Editorial&classif=

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Actually it's not an unfair characterization of your attitude by what you posted.

You're being condescending to someone who has been involved in this issue far longer than most of the head of the countries represented by the G-8

If that isn't condescending, I don't know what is.

I agree with FB. You're being passive/aggressive on this.

On one hand you slag him and try to diminish what he has to say by referring to him as a "musician" and "just an entertainer" but on the other hand you say you "admire" him.

You can't have it both ways.

6. The Big Ragu

I typed, "It's admirable and nice that Bono brings attention to some of the world's problems by shining his celebrity on them." Yeah, how condescending of me. ::)

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ragu,

Since you haven't turned 40 yet, I'll cut you some slack. :)

Seriously, your posts read as absolutely dismissive about everything Bono has accomplished for the simple fact that he's an artist. However, you expect us to wrap our arms around Gates whose empire mostly consisted of appropriating the original ideas of others.

It's the old joke: "What do Mac users call Windows 95?"

"Mac 84".

Fact is, Americans seem to love embracing celebrities as politicians: Arnie & Reagan come immediately to mind.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm sorry that you can't write what you mean, then.

9. The Big Ragu

Everyone is eternally grateful that they have you on the board to tell them what I mean, pube. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted