1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harper to Bono: Drop dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Jun 11, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FB, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic (well, I was with the Carrot Top remark, but that should have been so obvious that no one in his right mind would call it a passive-aggressive attempt). I am serious, just so it is clear. He's a singer. That shouldn't buy anyone entree into the G8 Summit, nor does it put him on par with the democratically-elected leaders of the handful of most powerful countries in the world, who are literally trying to deal with ALL of the world's problems (which compete for resources), not a handful of causes they are passionate about and have time to champion in between social commitments. And unlike Bono, those leaders have a mandate to play the role of policy maker by virtue of the fact that they were elected. No sarcasm attempted or meant when I point that out. No matter how many times he's traveled to Africa or how passionate he personally is about third-world problems, he's not unique in caring and he's not unique in having visited Africa hundreds of times. I'm not sure what you want me to say. I'm certainly not being sarcastic when I applaud his concern about the spread of AIDs and about the pervasive poverty crippling the third world. I applaud the focus he has tried to bring to those things. I also find it pretentious when he makes it a story that the Canadian PM won't meet with him at the G8 Summit, as if he's owed meetings with world leaders.

It's also simplistic for anyone to believe there is an easy solution to the problems in Africa and that Bono holds any answers. For one thing, it isn't like Bono can really offer anything practical by way of real solutions other than to implore more foreign aid. And there are all kinds of issues with the foreign aid already going to Africa, not the least of which is the corruption that inevitably keeps it from reaching the people who need it. Even so, there is a serious argument to be made that the Western world does not give enough money. But it's also simplistic to conclude that the money is sitting there ready to go and all of those leaders at the G8 summit are evil men who get off on people dying of AIDs and malaria and from third world poverty. The money has to come from somewhere and that is what Stephen Harper is dealing with that Bono isn't. Bono can't tell Stephen Harper anything that he--and dozens of Canadian analysts and diplomats--don't already know. Again, no sarcasm intended. Harper could most certainly give Bono a lesson about scarce resources, the fact that when it comes to taxation you are going to piss off as many people as you please and the totality of the world's problems (and Canada's needs), which are all competing for those tax dollars. Because that is what Harper is dealing with every day. It's why HE was invited to the G8 summit, not a bunch of rock and roll singers.

It's admirable and nice that Bono brings attention to some of the world's problems by shining his celebrity on them. He could really have the greatest impact by finding a way to get corrupt African leaders to let money and aid in without skimming most of it (good luck) and then writing a big personal check. Wasn't it Bono who moved his business operations to the Netherlands to cut his tax bill in half and save himself a couple of hundred million? Guess what. That is where foreign aid comes from.

2. The Big Ragu

I'm sorry you feel that way, Pube. Really.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

In that case, I think Mo Ibrahim's your man.

http://www.moibrahimfoundation.org/the-prize.html

4. The Big Ragu

That's pretty cool, jg. I knew nothing about the foundation or the prize until you posted that. Mo Ibrahim totally gets it. An actual African who has had success (the members of his board all seem impressive too) and actually has a decent idea for attacking one of the problems that contributes to Sub-Saharan Africa's inability to help itself and make better use of the foreign aid that is sent that way.

5. No sarcasm intended, except the Carrot Top reference?
    My eye.
    Anyway, the leaders of the G8 don't have to meet with anyone they don;t want to meet with -- they are also free to ignore Africa until it bleeds to death, all the while blaming the local politicians who have been struggling with poverty, the legacies of European colonial depredations, and superpower-inspired tribal conflict for all of the three decades some of these countries have been independent. I don't think they should do that. I think they should engage as many people with as many ideas as possible. I think Harper's grandstanding to his domestic politica base by spurning this particular guy and, given the stakes involved, I think that's indecent.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

My company works with Newman's Own.

Wouldn't be so sure about that last statement.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

People who are in position to help people should help people, even actors and athletes and musicians and fabulously rich corporate titans. Good for Bono. He's a hero, like Bill Gates and Ted Turner and even Angelina Jolie. They all have more self-indulgent things they could do with their fame and fortune but they choose to give themselves passionately to causes in which they believe. Good for them. Better for all of us.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Bob Diamond/Cowbell: I use forty-eight percent of my brain. Do you know how much you use?
    Daniel Miller/sj anti-cowbell constituency: Forty... seven?
    Diamond/Cowbell: [laughs] Three.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You are so entitled.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Too bad the people who champion Whitlocks columns as a voice of reason don't see he's the complete opposite of what you described above.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I really doubt Harper was "grandstanding" when he "spurned" Bono. That would suggest he gave any thought at all to what saying no would mean to the bigger picture.

As for his domestic political base, I speak only for myself, but I want the prime minister to represent my country and its interests before it worries about anyone else's. If that means he takes a pass on an opportunity to smile and nod his head and pretend he gives one-tenth of an ounce of a shit what Bono has to say, then so be it.

Because let's face it - GWB didn't/won't give Bono any more than that, and neither did/will any of the other G-8 leaders who met with him.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I keep forgetting.

Is Bono U2 or G9?

Draft saved Draft deleted