1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harper Lee will publish a second novel

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cranberry, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Carey Mulligan (An Education, Inside Llewyn Davis, Great Gatsby) or Elisabeth Moss for grown-up Scout.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I was envisioning Kate Upton for Scout.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Emma Stone would be a good fit for Scout.

4. Perhaps lost in the euphoria of a sequel ...
    Harper Lee is deaf and blind and publisher of novel had no direct conversations | Daily Mail Online

I wondered this myself, yesterday.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I can't picture Emma Stone as an adult Scout. She's too lightweight.

Carey Mulligan would be good, but if we're going in that age group I think Hathaway is a better fit.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Presuming the novel proves to be literarily legit (I have some nagging doubts myself ), it will be interesting what kind of liberties are taken with the eventual film sequel.

Early hints about the novel storyline sets it "about 20 years" after the events of TKAMB, which would put it in the early-mid 1950s, and deals with Scout returning home and the reaction of Atticus to the civil rights movement. Scout was 6 and Atticus early-mid 40s in "Mockingbird" and their ages would progress accordingly.

I suspect for the movie they might stretch the timeline another 10 years to set the sequel in the mid-1960s, with the civil rights movement at full throttle, and putting Scout into her mid-30s where she could be a fully-established author, lawyer, etc etc.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And beware of signed copies on ebay.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Harper Lee and Truman Cupote being friends is like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird being from the same little town, but Bird stopped playing hoops after he lost to MSU.

No way she wrote Mockingbird on her own. No way.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Gotta love how you speak with such certainty when without just cause.

Draft saved Draft deleted