1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harold Reynolds Fired By ESPN

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Della9250, Jul 25, 2006.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

Maybe the paper messed up and meant Joe Morgan. :p

Firing Joe Morgan would make perfect sense. The last thing I need is seeing more of Tino Martinez and "Kruky." Decent ballplayers, horrible TV personalities.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

very surprising. i'll miss him. for all his faults, he was the best they had in terms of analysts. you know what you're getting with reynolds and kruk. i watched baseball tonight almost every night -- not necessarily to hear reynolds, but with ravech, kruk, reynolds and either gammons or kurkjian, that was the best show on the network.

if this means more orestes destrade, i'll be pissed. his analysis is about as deep as you'd expect from the drunk guy on the next barstool. i can't possibly imagine what they see in him. tino martinez is just a smidgen better than destrade, but only barely.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

If there was an "incident" it better have been big. Michael Irvin got pulled over with a crackpipe in his car on Thanksgiving and missed like one week. I wonder who the first person Harold called out of his cell phone... Jeter? A-Rod? Michael Jordan?

4. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

Wow, this is wonderful news. I'd wish that Joe Morgan would be next (http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com/), but God is not that kind.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

If I didn't already know that Joe Morgan was absolutely incapable of expressing himself verbally, he closed the deal on Sunday night.

Miller brought up that Joe's mind was probably not fully on his job ( ::)) because of the recent passing of his sister, Gloria.

Morgan's response (and I know he didn't mean it this way) went something like this: "Well, at least the good thing is that I have two sisters left." Like one of your TVs blows a tube and you say, "Well, at least I have one left in the rec room and another in my bedroom, so I'm covered."

It was an awkward, embarrassing exchange that made him look like a retard, quite frankly. They would have been better off not even bringing it up.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

A completely bizarre moment....and he repeated it several times. Even given the situation--grieving and distracted--it was just so odd that someone would even think that way. It's like he has no internal mechanism that regulates his thought process, which seems fairly essential for TV work.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Joe was more distraught the day Ryan Sanberg was inducted into the HOF. He did not work that night.

Joe did look fairly gleaming in his ex-jock mufti, -- a green iridescent tropical style shirt look that falls somewhere between Miami Beach retiree and model for Tommy Bahama .

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

brilliant, boomer, brilliant. ;D

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I would only hope this gives more work for Tim Kurkjian, the best baseball analyst ESPN has.

As for Reynolds, I don't have a strong opinion on him. There were many worse. But I didn't like how Harold tried to get in uniform and become part of whatever story he was working on.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You must have read the ESPN history book. ;)

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

He might have just needed more time to work on his instructional videos. As soon as they carry a team to back-to-back-to-back-to-back AAU championships, they are going to replace the Tom Emanski series.

12. bd11

bd11 Member

All Kurkjian is good at is apologizing for the frauds of baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted