1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harold Reynolds Fired By ESPN

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Della9250, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Most NYDN heds are direct from the House of Lame . . .

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

True, Ben, I forgot to say lame wacky play on words. All the subtlety and spontaneity of morning DJs. ::)

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Boss: This is the DJ 3000. It plays CDs automatically, and it has three distinct varieties of inane chatter. [presses a button]

DJ 3000: [stilted] Hey, hey. How about that weather out there? Woah! THAT was the caller from hell. Well, hot dog! We have a weiner.

Bill: Man, that thing's great!

Marty: DON'T praise the machine!

Boss: If you don't get that kid an elephant by tomorrow, the DJ 3000 gets your job.

[Marty punches it]

DJ 3000: Those clowns in congress did it again. What a bunch of clowns.

Bill: [laughs] How does it keep up with the news like that?

(God bless you SNPP)

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The Post goes even further. A few weeks ago, they had a story about a hassidic jew joining the NY police in some capacity (I forget exactly what). The headline on the front page: "NYPD JEW"

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I know a guy who works there. He told me the news-side editors thought it was a clever play on "NYPD Blue." "The guy's a jew who joined the force. NYPD Jew. Get it?"

Yeah, that flew right over my head. Thanks. ::)

The truly funny part was that story was a POST EXCLUSIVE until they found out that the NYDN had ran the story a week earlier.

The NY Post: The Deep_Background of New York City newspapers.

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Still can't believe the Post didn't hire the guy from the Trentonian who came up with Roasted Nuts for a fire at a mental hospital.

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Maybey they got an intern from Iowa State.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Trentonian's an epic joke . . . not to mention, the ugliest rag in the tristate region.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I heard Mike Freeman on the radio this morning. Freeman said that after his book came out, he had so many women at ESPN call him with Harold Reynolds inappropriate looky-loo stories, Reynolds could merit his own new chapter.

To be fair, Freeman did not use the phrase "inappropriate looky-loo."

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Now that Steve Phillips has taken over Reynolds chair its always fun to revisit what a fine GM he was for the Mets:

NOW HAVE 2 FAMERS, 3 IF YOU COUNT PHILLIPS; [SPORTS FINAL Edition]
    MIKE LUPICA. New York Daily News. New York, N.Y.: Dec 12, 2001. pg. 62
    Abstract (Document Summary)
    We thought Latrell Sprewell was even worse than [Roberto Alomar] because of what Sprewell did to his coach at Golden State. Now Sprewell plays as hard as any athlete in town, and gets cheered for that. It will be the same way with Alomar at Shea. This is a bigger for the Mets than getting Jason Giambi is for the Yankees.

Draft saved Draft deleted