1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Harlem Shake"? WTF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Feb 13, 2013.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

"Don't Worry, Be Happy." The Macarena. New Kids on The Block.

All things I was blissfully unaware of at the time, but then I came across some article or video on them proclaiming them the hottest things of the moment. After that instant, I couldn't pop open a newspaper or magazine, or turn on the TV without hearing about it for the next few months.

Now we have countless videos of "Harlem Shake." I was introduced to this a couple days ago, when the University of Georgia dive team did its rendition:

Then from there I see the St. Leo College baseball team doing its version:

And today I see it being done on the Cal Poly SLO campus:

And probably hundreds more on YouTube.

So tell me, SportsJournalists.commers hipper than me, how long have I been in the dark about this? And feel free to add any Shake videos you've seen to the thread.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Compilation. Tremendous. The TV news crew and the kids under water are wonderful:

3. This is hipster bullshit. Or Bro bullshit.
    I await a ruling from Bubbler.
  4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Once it becomes a topic on SportsJournalists.com, it's rendered instantaneously lame.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Eating goldfish was once the hottest thing of the moment. Either that, or it was seen as a necessity, since it happened in the Depression.
  6. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

It's quirky. The student section at my school did one. Not annoying yet (I'm sure it will be), so it gets a thumbs up for now.
  7. You're no hipster.

I have been over the Harlem shake for two weeks now.

It's like the 2010 NFL season .... Puhlay-ed.
  8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Didn't stop the Shocker from hitting 50 pages.
  9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's a combination of the zeitgeist and people's increasing desire to be famous/be on YouTube/be on TV.
  10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

It was played 6 times during the minor league hockey game between stoppages.
    Gangham Style was played 3.
    Shockingly, I didn't storm the DJ booth, rip out his heart, show it to him and shove it down his throat.
  11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I have those same urges every time I hear this played at a junior hockey game:

12. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Hundreds? There are probably about a hundred different versions from my local university alone. Try millions.
Draft saved Draft deleted