1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Harlem Shake"? WTF?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Feb 13, 2013.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

"Don't Worry, Be Happy." The Macarena. New Kids on The Block.

All things I was blissfully unaware of at the time, but then I came across some article or video on them proclaiming them the hottest things of the moment. After that instant, I couldn't pop open a newspaper or magazine, or turn on the TV without hearing about it for the next few months.

Now we have countless videos of "Harlem Shake." I was introduced to this a couple days ago, when the University of Georgia dive team did its rendition:

Then from there I see the St. Leo College baseball team doing its version:

And today I see it being done on the Cal Poly SLO campus:

And probably hundreds more on YouTube.

So tell me, SportsJournalists.commers hipper than me, how long have I been in the dark about this? And feel free to add any Shake videos you've seen to the thread.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Compilation. Tremendous. The TV news crew and the kids under water are wonderful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MlPh_ycy62s#!

3. This is hipster bullshit. Or Bro bullshit.
    I await a ruling from Bubbler.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Once it becomes a topic on SportsJournalists.com, it's rendered instantaneously lame.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Eating goldfish was once the hottest thing of the moment. Either that, or it was seen as a necessity, since it happened in the Depression.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's quirky. The student section at my school did one. Not annoying yet (I'm sure it will be), so it gets a thumbs up for now.

7. You're no hipster.

I have been over the Harlem shake for two weeks now.

It's like the 2010 NFL season .... Puhlay-ed.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Didn't stop the Shocker from hitting 50 pages.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's a combination of the zeitgeist and people's increasing desire to be famous/be on YouTube/be on TV.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

It was played 6 times during the minor league hockey game between stoppages.
    Gangham Style was played 3.
    Shockingly, I didn't storm the DJ booth, rip out his heart, show it to him and shove it down his throat.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I have those same urges every time I hear this played at a junior hockey game:

12. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Hundreds? There are probably about a hundred different versions from my local university alone. Try millions.

Draft saved Draft deleted