1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hardest style/grammar rules to get right

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dog eat dog world, Dec 2, 2012.

1. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I'm talking about those frustrating non-edits that get a "@##@#$#" under your breath when you miss them from mental blocks, or whatever.

Of course if they are mental blocks, you probably won't remember them now. lol.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Appositive commas.

3. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

like vs. such as. not actually hard to get right, but very often used incorrectly

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

The one that gets me every time and it's because I'm stubborn is the subject-verb agreement on singular team nicknames (Heat, Thunder, Avalanche).
    I always want to make those plural because the nickname represents a number of people, much like when there is an s on the end of the nickname in normal teams.
    Always hangs me up and makes me feel stupid because my brain wants to do one thing that's wrong and I know it's wrong.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Umm... what style book you followin'?

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Yep. Some shops ignore this completely (as does the AP) and you see a lot of "The Heat snapped their 23-game losing streak" while other papers do it correctly (or incorrectly if you are on the other side). My preference is use they or theirs.
    Normally though I just change to the city when I can. Miami snapped its 23-game losing streak and use the team when there won't be confusion: LeBron James had 2 points for the Heat.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

said
    said that

I know it should be easy, but I've second-guessed myself so many times.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I still get fucked by who/whom. Doesn't matter. Can't fucking get it.

9. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

I always eff up lay vs. lie. Understand it when I look it up, but always forget in the middle of writing.

10. Rawbot

Rawbot Member

This. I'm no dummy by any means, but I'm a goner when it comes to who/whom.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Then/Than always gets me.

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Totally get ya.

Draft saved Draft deleted