1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hard rock remakes of poppy crap

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Jul 6, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I heard that recently ... amazing!

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

There's a live acoustic cover of someone singing Jacko's Billie Jean. It's awesome.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Didn't Chris Cornell do a cover? Was it acoustic?

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think it's available on Yahoo! Music.

As far as Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, I thought their version of 'I Believe I Can Fly" was terrific.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Gary Jules' cover of Tears for Fears' Mad World isn't a hard rocking version, more of a haunting version, though.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Kentucky Woman - Deep Purple.

Less Than Jake has a number of these, as does Reel Big Fish.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sure it did! They said Black Flag instead of Deadhead!!!

The Foos version of Darling Nikki is kinda uncomfortable to listen to. But Baker Street? Awesome. Simply awesome. Unbelievably intense.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's not Social Distortion that covered "Pretty in Pink," it was some band called Automatic 7. It did kind of sound like Social D, though.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I was wondering how long it would take for both of Disturbed's 80s covers would make it.

Such a powerful song. I have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to it, otherwise I'll just curl up in the fetal position. I think Trent Reznor said that he can't play "Hurt" anymore because Cash turned that into his song, and that was meant with the utmost respect.

Even though these songs are neither poppy nor crap, Iced Earth does a great job on their covers of AC/DC's Highway to Hell & It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock & Roll). The guitars & bass are much heavier, but the vocals are well-suited, too.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That Gary Jules took it a different direction made it pretty good. I didn't think there was anything wrong with Tears For Fears' version, though.

Disturbed did a decent version of "Shout," but their attempt at "Land of Confusion" was f_cking awful. Sucked. Sucked. Sucked.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the afghan whigs did a great version of tlc's 'creep'

soundgarden's version of 'girl u want'

and, http://www.coversproject.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted