1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hard questions are not 'Gotcha' questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Wonderlic, Oct 10, 2008.

1. trench

trench Member

As long as the ethics of political journalism is the general topic, I am compelled to wonder aloud on this thread: "When might some tough questions - of the gotcha variety or otherwise - be asked of the other ticket?"

If taking the gloves off and putting the feet of candidates to the fire is proper, it's got to be proper for all of them.

2. You think Obama hasn't faced tough questions? Are you SERIOUS?

3. trench

trench Member

The man has a major television network that practically campaigns openly for him. He's often treated with kid gloves elsewhere. Yeah, I'm serious.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I fixed your post.

5. Seriously, Trench, you need to pay more attention. Fox News is the standard in propaganda. Nobody is even close.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If only political reporters had the incisive questioning of sports reporters.
    "Senator Obama, how long have you been a black politician?"

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Of course, the question you think you're referring to was never asked -- as has been pointed out many times on this board.

8. trench

trench Member

Won't argue with you about Fox, but when the major networks started swinging left, they created the void that Fox filled. Might never have been any such thing as Fox in its current form if the NBCs had done their job and just reported things down the middle. It's just somewhat laughable to hear Dems complain about media coverage in general. Do we really need to even discuss which way the media, generally speaking, leans? I mean, come on. It's like Michael Jordan complaining about officiating when he shot 25 free throws a game.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

There is no point in even having these arguments because conservatives don't want real balance, they want to hear that Hillary Clinton is a lesbian and she killed Vince Foster. On CNN. That, trench, would be balanced right?

As we always do in these situations we're going to ask for specifics instead of generalities. Other than the clown show on MSNBC, how are the other networks biased? And don't say "well just look at them! If you can't see it I can't help you." That doesn't play. Show your work please. Also, while you're at it, who are the liberal equivalents of Pat Buchanan and Joe Scarborough on Fox?

10. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

And the same could be said of Obama.
    But the fact that he's extremely bright and could probably pass the media's version of the SAT does not countermand the fact that no reporter would ever stoop to asking him to "prove" his competence. It's assumed. The media has been blatantly sexist with Palin from the very beginning, from the time an AP writer used the word "seduced" to describe her convention speech and on through to today.
    And it's not just Palin. H. Clinton got the same treatment from different angles. The media are quite comfortable with being perceived as sexist, apparently.

12. Find me a legit case of sexism in relation to Palin. You won't, because that's a bullshit argument made by those who think questioning her is sexist but questioning the other candidates is right.

Draft saved Draft deleted