1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harbaugh hired to run the Trees, eh, Stanford

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Somebody get him a designated driver, especially around there. Boo-yah!

2. WSKY

WSKY Member

And he was so close to becoming the next hero at Idaho.

3. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Stanford needs A LOT of help. Even with tough admissions, they still went to six bowls between 1990 and 2001, beating top-ranked Notre Dame and later finishing in the Top 15 of the BCS (in '01) in between. Tyrone Willingham had a good thing going.

But then he bolted for the Golden Dome, and admission in the meantime are RIDICULOUS. Mike Montgomery couldn't bring in a guy who got in at Yale. YALE. Stanford couldn't sign a single scholarship receiver in either 2004 or 2005...In the Pac 10, a pitch-and-catch conference!!! The football program could very well become irrelevant in the national picture, going the way of SMU in the '80s and San Diego State this decade.

While I do root for the Cardinal (the team I grew up with) and Syracuse (my alma mater), I have no choice but to adapt an additional college football team to pull for; Coincidentally it is the team playing Cal in the Holiday Bowl, but not because they're playing Cal in the Holiday Bowl...

Go Aggies...Gig 'em.

BTW, for a Florida Gator mind out there, what exactly was Teevens' job with Steve Spurrier? Visor caddy?

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Not really. USD played a ton of really crummy teams, so much so that its 10-0 record didn't even earn decent consideration to the I-AA, er, FCS, er WTF playoffs. Good QB? Sure. But he'd get torn up in the Pac-10.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

USD is a nonscholarship I-AA school. Its regular season was still incomplete when the time came to chose teams for the playoffs. It probably would have gotten into the playoffs had it not had two games left to play.

USD's QB would get eaten in I-A. Hell, he'd probably have a tough time playing a I-AA scholarship schedule.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Or he'd pass for 354 on Pitt's miserable D.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

He might want to bring hatchet, axe and saw with him, anyway. :D

If nothing else, it gets Harbaugh away from Marye Anne Fox. I'd wash dishes at the local greasy spoon before I'd sign up to work anywhere near her.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

They had played 10 games by the time the selection committee met. As for being 2 games shy, if they really thought they would have been a playoff contender, they wouldn't have scheduled a game for the first round of the playoffs. They lost that game, although Johnson threw for something like 350 yards.

EDIT: Out of curiousity, I checked his stats; he did have 34 TDs to 5 INTs, and while a tougher schedule would have closed that gap some, they still would have been some impressive numbers.

9. trounced

trounced Active Member

Harbaugh doesn't seem to think that's the case.

Harbaugh was asked if Johnson has NFL ability.

"No question," he said. "I watched Kyle Boller work out coming out of college (Cal). Josh's not as big and strong as Kyle, and Josh's arm isn't quite as strong, but they're very comparable. Josh and Kyle run a low 4.5, but Josh is more elusive. Josh still isn't shaving, but in two years, he should be a second-round pick, which Kyle should have been (instead of a No. 1)."

He was 28 of 35 for 345 yards and four TDs (0 INTs) against Yale, He also rushed 8 times for 70 yards.

Against Morehead State he was 11 of 23 for 22 yards and 3 TDs (0INTs). He rushed 9 times for 80 yards.

Against Davidson he was 27 of 39 for 310 yards and 4 TDs (0INTs). He also rushed 11 times for 127 yards.

Pro quarterback? Who knows. Tough time against I-AA scholarship programs (or whatever they call them now)? Doesn't look like it.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I was well aware of the crummy competition ... I just wasn't sure if the kid was really a prospect. I'm sure I could (and should if I'm going to ask) research this, but weren't there like a dozen NFL picks from I-AA last year? I just know he put up insane numbers and looks like a good athlete that could get bigger.

Tony Romo, Steve McNair, Phil Simms ... I know all those guys played for I-AA scholly schools, but they were I-AA quarterbacks.

Draft saved Draft deleted