1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Harbaugh chooses 49ers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 7, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The 49ers have been doomed for seven years by complete and total failure at quarterback. Their management feels, and rightly so, that decent quarterback play and decent quarterback coaching would have made for a playoff team this year and quite a few other years as well. Signing Harbaugh eliminates that big problem.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Niners bought themselves some credibility by convincing a high profile candidate to sign with them for 5 years.

Baalke (the new GM) may not be a high profile hire, but he's done the grunt work in the past and may turn out pretty well.

Harbaugh may fall flat but he knows what the NFL is like, having been around his brother, having played in the league, and having coached in the league as well.

At the very minimum, there is some hope finally.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Looking forward to those twice-a-year Pete Carroll-Harbaugh matchups.

And note: NFC West plays the AFC North next year, so we'll have Harbaugh vs. Harbaugh in Baltimore, probably on a Sunday or Monday night. Or, hell, if by some chance the Ravens win the Super Bowl, the first game of the season.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hard to imagine Harbaugh falling flat. He seems to have the right mix of mentors/ experience. He also runs an offense compatible with the NFL style of play. The 49ers also have some pretty good pieces too start with.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Spent two seasons as an assistant in Oakland back when they were relevant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Harbaugh

And it's not like this is some college coach who lacks NFL credibility. Harbaugh played quarterback for a decade in the NFL, often with distinction. If some projections hold and the 49ers draft Blaine Gabbert and his prototypical QB tools, then the 49ers could be rolling all over again soon enough.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Better dropping that than dropping trou.

SF needed a name coach for this, not only for a "return to glory," but they need to build interest in the Santa Clara stadium as well.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but he hasn't played in a decade.

Count me in the camp that is very skeptical about this. Five years at $5 mil per for a guy fresh out of college? I know he has the pedigree and did great work at San Diego and Stanford and has taken the right path to this gig--he's no Josh McDaniels--but the whirlwind tour this week leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It feels like it was just about fueling his ego. Thats fine from a Parcells type, but I've got a feeling in four years we'll be saying it'll be a long time before an NFL team hires the hot college name.

8. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

Despite his success at Stanford, Harbaugh - to me - just seems like a better fit in the NFL. I think he'll wind up a lot closer to Walsh or Jimmy Johnson than Spurrier or Saban.

By contrast, I have a hard time seeing Urban Meyer - as great as he's been in college - being successful in the NFL. I'd be a lot more skeptical of an NFL team hiring him when his retirement is over.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

$5 mil a year was ridiculous when Spurrier got it eight years ago. These days, it's probably about 8-10th among NFL coaches. Even the incredibly cheap Bears are paying Lovie $5 mil a year. I know Lovie's been to a Super Bowl...

It's a lot, but it's not insane money, like what Miami was talking.

Look, it remains to be seen if Harbaugh will be a good NFL coach, but it's refreshing to see the Niners hire someone that other teams actually had interest in. It's been quite some time since that happened.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Schefter actually got kinda pissed when someone brought up the 7-8 million per yer that was being thrown out there from Miami.

He said that Miami never made him an offer for either the money or coach.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So when is the last time two former teammates succeeded each other as NFL head coaches? I can only think of Forrest Gregg succeeding Bart Starr.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Jim Harbaugh is as good a hire as the Niners have made during the York Error. But a nice hidden key for him is having Vic Fangio on his staff. Fangio was the linebackers coach during the Saints' Dome Patrol era, and following Dom Capers and some undersized linebacker to Charlotte to be the defensive coordinator.

Those two are good starts in the coaching category for this organization.

Draft saved Draft deleted