1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Women's Day! Here are some boobs!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 14, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Fox station in Connecticut marks International Women's Day by taking camera to crowded street and zooming in on boobs. Latin boobs, white boobs, big boobs, not-as-big (but still big enough) boobs, covered boobs, cleavage-y boobs. The whole blurb, nothing but boobs.

http://jimromenesko.com/2013/03/14/fox-station-apologizes-for-showing-breasts-in-womens-day-story/

Station apologizes. I don't know why, they seemed to get the essence of women just perfect, amirite?

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Listen to the anchorwoman on the video. Sounds like she's appalled by what she sees as she talks over it — her voice even catches a few times.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Al Neuharth would approve.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We know what the B in B-roll stands for... :D

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

D-roll pulls more eyeballs, though.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Why do viewers not get that a local Fox affiliate is NOT the same as Fox News the channel?

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

They see the "FOX" brand and assume they're the same. Especially since local Fox stations almost always identify as "Fox (Channel Number)" and their newscasts as "Fox (Channel number) News." It's not difficult for me at all to see how viewers don't get the difference.

If Fox News Channel used a different identity such as "Sky News," then you'd have the total opposite: viewers having no idea at all that the two are related in any way.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This is true -- local Fox stations stick to the network brand image a hell of a lot more than the other network affiliates tend to do.

Part of this, I suspect, is that there are more Fox O&Os than the other networks, though I don't have any numbers on that. In my market only one station is an O&O, and it's Fox. (The booby station in question is not; it's a Tribune station.)

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Oh by the way, this is the same station that got in trouble with the state EEOC for, among other things, discussing "big boob Fridays" in news meetings as a possible reason Friday newscasts were rating well.

Local TV news.... Stay far away.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The other three networks had a 40-year head start on FOX, and FOX branded itself as the "edgy" net early on. So affiliates tended to match the network attitude with their local newscasts (and since there was no programming after 10 p.m. ET, they had a whole hour to fill). More sensationalism, more T&A, more entertainment gossip, and the approach has held for more than 20 years at a lot of affiliates.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with a news organization keeping abreast of the situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted