1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Happy" Winter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Full disclosure:
    I am a hideous vagina.
    I hate cold.
    No.
    I despise cold.
    It could be 95 degrees all day every day and it wouldn't bother me a bit.
    Winter sucks.
    I love being outside.
    Except when it's cold.
    I hate cold.
    When I'm old and retired, I will be moving my carcass to Arizona come the end of September, and coming back north somewhere around middle of May.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Winter is off to a jackrabbit start here in Mass. Today has a high of 30. Tomorrow snow, tomorrow night a good dose of freezing rain. Don't usually have snowstorms after May 1st, though.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No snow here. Just delightful low 30's with a skin peeling 30 mph north wind.
    If it is going to get cold, it just as well snow or do something.
    Drier than a popcorn fart out here in the sticks.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I used to hate the cold. I made hating winter part of my identity.

But then a few things happened:
    • I discovered stouts.
    • I discovered skiing.
    • I had to make an eight-block walk every day from my train station to my office in Chicago, sometimes through temperatures that made my face hurt. And instead of bitching and moaning about it, I decided, "Fuck you, winter. I'm better than you."
    I like it now. I can feel a full childhood of being a huge pussy wash away every time I hit the door running in below freezing temperatures.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Some much-needed snow here at 5,280 feet. Some more this weekend. I despise the brutal cold (15 and lower). I would rather it snow 2 feet and be 30 than trudge outside when it's minus-5.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Coats and gloves and hats are so much better now than even when I was a kid that walking in cold weather just isn't that bad anymore. You used to need five thick layers and a 6-inch deep coat to stay warm. Now a sweater and a good jacket and I'm roasting in sub-freezing temperatures.

Michael_ Gee and Dick Whitman like this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Dry and cold like today doesn't bother me at all. I have many warm clothes. It's the wet and cold here by the north Atlantic that is tough to take.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I agree. Gear is so good today.

9. Michael_ Gee

This probably isn't that different in any of the big cities of the Midwest, but the worst part of winter in Boston isn't that it's super severe, it isn't, but the way it just won't go away. We had snow last winter on April Fool's Day. In fact, the all time one-day snowfall record here was on an April Fool's Day. At least five Red Sox home openers have seen snow or been snowed out in my 40-plus years here. April is usually (not always) a month of cold rain and subfreezing night temperatures.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Take up skiing. Winter doesn’t suck at all if you play outdoor sports.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Winter doesn’t suck, period.

You know what sucks? Summer.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The communists have won.

Draft saved Draft deleted