1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Valentine's Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He gone.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8461424/boston-red-sox-fire-manager-bobby-valentine-one-season

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He'd have been crushed if they hadn't fired him. He's been managing like a guy trying to get canned since the Beckett-Gonzalez trade.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Do I need to get Clay Buchholz flowers and chocolates or will the more traditional beer and chicken do?

4. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

To the surprise of almost no one who's paid more than two minutes' worth of attention to the major leagues this year.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Anyone else kind of shocked with how bad it went?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What was his contract and how long and how much will they be paying him to go on TV and trash the hell out of them?

I love that part of it.

7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I, too, would be interested to know how much he'll be making over the next few years.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/redsox/2012/10/04/bobby-valentine-fired-boston-red-sox-major-league-baseball/1613291/

Chump change for 'em.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

As already posted, one year, $2.5 million.

Now does Valentine go back to ESPN until he finds a landing spot? And how do they not pair him with Francona to discuss the chaos on Yawkey Way?

10. workerB12

workerB12 Member

I feel like he would make more sense for a small market team that can't find it's way into the headlines.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He's done as a manager.

This season is not entirely his fault, as he was dealing with a clubhouse of petulant millionaires, but his bizarre behavior didn't win him any favors.

Bobby's main problem is that Bobby, at least outwardly, acts like Bobby is the smartest guy Bobby's ever known.

Again, the guy is not 100 percent to blame. Club Fenway tuned him out early, and he was given a crap roster (especially in the final month).

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

wicked beat me to it. But I agree, he's definitely filled out his last major league lineup card.

Draft saved Draft deleted