1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Valentine's Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Feb 12, 2007.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Re: Valentine's Day Preview Thread

And just like that, Johnny takes the lead! ;)

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

Doesn't Japanese have 8,000 letters?

Damn, Johnny. That's hardcore.

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Rockbottom, I hope your wife knows what a great guy she's got. :)

Flowers are good. I echo the recommendation of tulips -- I love 'em way more than roses -- or any kind of flowers you think she'd like. You might be able to get 'em cheaply at the supermarket. Shoprite around here has remarkably nice bouquets for not very much $$$ and they apparently last longer than what 21 buys at Costco.

Are there any little things she might need? The mani-pedi gift certificate is nice if she likes those things. (I'm a no-frills gal, sorry bagelchick!) Try to get it for her usual salon though, if she has one. Some bookstores carry coupons for special treats, like a massage from you -- or you could make 'em at home for something you know she'd enjoy.

I have no idea what The Boy is giving me tomorrow, but he seems very proud of himself. Of course, he also forgot to wrap it. <sigh> Presentation counts, boys! :-*

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Happy Valentines Day

Sigh....all those serifs.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Valentine's Day? Damn, I forgot to get a girlfriend again!

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Last year, I sent two dozen roses to my girlfriend's office. She worked in a complex with four or five buildings, so it was actually quite a bit of effort to figure out which building and floor her office was on, especially since I didnt know any of her coworkers well enough to ask them. She loved the effort I put into figuring out how the hell to get them to her and, of course, they were nice flowers. And having her coworkers see that made her the queen of the office for the day.

That night I gave her an additional bouquet of roses made of chocolate, cooked a nice dinner and bathed her (she loved that).

A month later she broke up with me to go back to her ex-boyfriend.

So here's a big fat middle fuckin' finger to Valentine's Day.

I just hope to find some lonely little hottie at a bar tomorrow who's depressed she has no one to spend V-Day with.

7. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I'm lucky, I guess. My wife and I treat it as just another day. No flowers, no silly little cards that end up in the recycle bin two days later, no chalky-ass candy packaged in Singapore eight years ago. Don't need 'em, never have. Been together 10 years. And hope the next 10 are even better.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

what's better than roses on your piano?
    Tulips on your organ.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

that fucking bitch

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I was going to try and not do anything this year, but I broke down and decided to buy my wife a massage at the local ritzy spa.
    Being a nurse, she has to be on her feet for 12 hour shifts four days a week and I think she would probably really like getting a deep massage.
    Hopefully, though, she doesn't like it enough to want to get one once a week or I will be broke very quickly.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Like they said on House, "you know what single people call Valentines Day? Wednesday."

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm going to spare a thought for our dominatrix friends out there. Valentine's Day has to be the most confusing day of the year for them.

I mean, you can always dish out the pain to your slave, but how do you reciprocate for your slaves' needs without giving up the authority of being dominatrix/master?

Shoot your arrow at that conundrum, Cupid.

Draft saved Draft deleted