1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Valentine's Day, welcome to Wal-mart

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Dec 24, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As I was cruising into the world's largest slave-shop retailer on Friday, I noticed a woman putting things on the shelves in an aisle, until earlier that week, devoted to Christmas candy and such.
    Now, it's Valentine's candy...
    I shouldn't be surprised from an industry that starts setting up for Christmas in September, but WTF!

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Shopping Friday at an Albertsons, I looked for some of the Christmas candy on the aisle where I bought some a week earlier. Gone.

Instead, the entire aisle was fully stocked for Valentine's Day.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Give the candy to a blind kid. They won't be able to tell it's not Xmas candy!

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Before you know it, they'll throw their Back to School, Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas displays all up together on Memorial Day Weekend.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

From my August 2 Christmas tree experience at Cracker Barrel this year, I'm thinking that at some point in the not-too-distant future, the current Christmas season and the next Christmas season will merge, and it'll be 365 days of mistletoe and holly.

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

When I was in high school I used to work for American Greetings and when the Christmas product dwindled it was replaced with Valentine's Day. The day after Christmas everything got flipped.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Target is already working on Valentine's mode, too.

8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Dangit, then how am I going to buy that half-price day-after-Christmas candy? I've eaten almost all of my 75%-off three-days-after-Halloween candy already!

9. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I didn't see hardly any "christmas" candy. They've got all the conversation hearts out and none of the new hershey's christmas kisses.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Fuck Valentine's Day!

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Done and done!

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You say that now, but there's a Valentine's dance at the local high school with your name on it -- I just know it!

Draft saved Draft deleted