1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy turkey weekend, Canuckistan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flash, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

I'm thankful for nice people who invite me to their turkey dinner ... in about an hour. I'm so hungry for it.

And don't forget to vote on Tuesday!

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think it's so cute the way you guys have your own "holidays" and things.

Congrats!

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't tell 21's mom... she'll fret...

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, we find Fourth of July kinda cute, too.

But we got you on the holiday competition.

Canucks: Boxing Day. Yanks: What the hell is that?

Canucks: Victoria Day: Yanks: You celebrate Victoria Principals' birthday?

Oh, yeah "Civic Holiday".....first Monday in August. What's it celebrate? Nothing. Just an excuse for a long weekend in the summer

And oh, yeah "Family Day" (in Ontario): Third Monday in February. A mental health day to help everyone survive the New Year's to Easter stretch when it's dark when you go to work and dark when you come home.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Don't you dare claim Family Day as an Ontario thing! Alberta started it!

6. imjustagirl

Um, those all sound stupid.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah, a paid day off is absolutely ridiculous. Like how right now I'm making 30 bucks an hour to lay on the couch and then go to the football game and have a few beer.

9. imjustagirl

I didn't say having a holiday was stupid, Flash. I said they SOUND stupid. "Civic Holiday?" "Boxing Day?" "Family Day?"

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, in Ontario, "Civil Holiday" is "Simcoe Day" in honour of the first Lieutenant Gov of Ontario.

Boxing Day is an English holiday that's been around for a few hundred years--like since the Middle Ages.

And personally, I thought the feds should have given us a holiday in February called "Flag Day" to celebrate Canada getting its own flag back in '63 (62? 64?)...around there.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Civic Day, Natal Day, B.C. Day, Alberta Day ... whatever the hell you want to call it.

It's a paid day off. Suck it, Yankees.

Draft saved Draft deleted