1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Trails, Metrodome

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Machine Head, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Heartbreaking venue for a game. Just heartbreaking.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Saw two baseball games there. My friends and I were guests in a luxury suite ... in straight away center field. Next game, we had right field seats for a game with the Mariners (and Ichiro). But we couldn't see right field because of the baggie wall.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I saw the best baseball game I ever saw there (seventh game, 1991 Series). And even during that, part of my brain was saying this is a lousy place for baseball.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You know you are old when "new" stadiums are replaced by newer stadiums. Kind of amazing that you have some places like Wrigley, Fenway, the LA Coliseum and most college football stadiums at least 50 years old (with renovations to keep them fresh) and in the NFL, anything more than 20 years old is considered old.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Went there in its final season. I get what you're saying, but the Big O was just quirky enough to be interesting.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I enjoyed it. It was one of the loudest stadiums I have seen games in.

It's important to remember that when it was build back in the early 1980s, multi-purpose stadiums and domes in particular were quite the rage. Without it, Minneapolis would have never hosted a Super Bowl, NCAA basketball Final Four or baseball all-star game.

Like a lot of stadiums built during that era, I suppose its useful shelf life had expired and maybe a new place is needed. I'll shed a tear or two when they tear it down, as I do with all the stadiums of my youth. It served its tennants and community well for 30 years, which is more than can be said for most.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

After its taken down, pretty much none of those inflata-roof stadiums will be around. They re-did the one in Vancouver, the Hoosier Dome is imploded, The Silverdome is getting a new roof. Am I missing any?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Carrierdome

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Probably because Syracuse is so forgettable.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Georgiadome

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Many, many, many visits there... To cover mostly NFL and some college hoops...

I don't know that I would go as far as to call it a dump, but Minneapolis was long overdue for a new NFL stadium. Let's hope the new one has better parking.

12. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

This.

I had an apartment near Seven Corners in the 80's and could see the Dome. Drove me nuts that I never managed to see it when it was collapsing.

Draft saved Draft deleted