1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Trails, Metrodome

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Machine Head, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Yes, it did, except for the first year.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I used to watch games in the Metrodome in the 80s and 90s before I went there and I thought, "It can't be as bad as its described on TV. It has a kind of erector set rink-a-dink charm to it. Look a baggie for a wall in RF! It's quirky!"

Then I actually went there. Yep. It sucked massive balls. Probably the worst stadium I've ever been to a baseball game at with Riverfront its only real competition.

I'll never forget going to a mid-May game in 2003 with my brother. It was unseasonably warm and perfect baseball weather. Not a cloud in the sky, mid-70s, etc.

When we walked inside the soulless craphouse to attend the game, my brother and I looked at each other with a kind of WTF incredulity that were leaving the beautiful weather outside to watch baseball in the most sterile environment possible.

Covered, but never attended as a fan, a few Vikings games too. It was better for football, but Minnesotans have forever lost their hardiness when they pussed out and moved the Vikings inside.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Ok, that's pretty damn funny, but don't you have a bobblehead to buy?

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7070&lotNo=80082

4. Machine Head

It's too bad Ron Gant wasn't able to control his momentum. Shame, really:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Machine Head

You just made The Brotherhood's List.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Let me rephrase. It didn't FEEL like it had AC.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Riverfront was a shitty place to watch a game but Olympic Stadium is at the top of my personal list of worst baseball settings. Not one redeeming feature about that place.

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to the Vikings playing outdoors for two years. That's how it should be. I was hoping this new stadium would be outdoors, but I don't believe there's any way a new stadium in a cold climate will not be domed. That's in order to please the people plunking down thousands of dollars for season tickets.

9. Machine Head

A retractable roof is still an option for the new stadium.

10. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Vikings Resume Before the Metrodome (1961-1981):
    - Four Super Bowls, nine playoff wins, six losing seasons (five in their first seven years of existence).

Vikings Resume Since the Metrodome (1982-Present)
    - Zero Super Bowls, 10 playoff wins, eight losing seasons (five since 2001).

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Played two high school baseball games there, went hitless. First one as a sophomore I was put in for defensive reasons at 2nd base. Our coach was screaming at me to shift but I could not hear him, felt like he was yelling from home plate at the Mall of America. We did have a guy get an inside the park homer on a classic lost-in-the-lights flyball. And all of this in front of 28 fans.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think a St. Thomas-St. John's baseball game at 2 a.m. in the Metrodome would be a fun experience. Once. After sitting in Hubert's or whatever that bar was next door.

Sometimes we hit a bar on the east side of 94 (on Cedar, I think) and walked over. Cheap parking, cheaper Hamm's.

Draft saved Draft deleted