1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy trails, Doc...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 15, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

C'mon, JC, don't go getting certain posters all riled up again.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

fair enough, that was kind of douchy.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nah, it was a kind of fun tweak. Too bad the usual suspects aren't here.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So just because the number of prospects is the same the quality is the same? Sorry, spnited, but just because you don't know anything about the minor-leaguers involved doesn't mean they are interchangeable. The Blue Jays chose the prospects coming from the Phillies over the prospects coming from the Mariners for a reason.

But if it had actually been straight up, then I wouldn't have an issue with it. I still wouldn't think it was the upgrade that you think it is, but Halladay wants an extension now and Lee apparently wants to test free agency, so that alone makes him a better value.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Bob Elliott from the Toronto Sun tweeting that one of the prospects in the deal failed his physical.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jeff Blair (Globe & Mail) just tweeted, "Well-placed baseball source on failed physical reports involving a player coming to the Jays? "Totally false rumour"

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Who's words are these?

As it turns out, the prospects coming in to the Phillies aren't that far behind what is going out,

If the Phils gave up their best pitching prospect and two other players and got the Mariners' two best pitching prospects and one other player...

I comes down to Halladay for Lee. I like Halladay a lot better.
    That's all I'm saying.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Riccardi/Riccardi. No one cares. Doesn't matter.
    He's gone. That's all that matters.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If the Phillies gave up significantly more than just Lee for Halladay, I thought that was a mistake. That's all I've been saying. As it turns out, the exchange of prospects is better for the Phillies than what was initially reported.

That said, your argument was that the prospects were meaningless because sometimes they don't work out, which is wrong because they have value now. You also assumed that because there were three prospects going each way, that was even, which is wrong. The exchange is closer than what I thought, but it still isn't exactly even. As I mentioned on one of the threads, the Blue Jays chose the Phillies' prospects over the Mariners' prospects for a reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted