1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy trails, Doc...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Why does this trade deserve it's own thread, because it involves a Canada-based team?

The Hot Stove thread covers things very well during the offseason. We don't need a thread for every baseball trade/transaction (of which there have already been a few, all covered nicely in the one thread).

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was about something entirely different before I opened it.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Someone didn't click on the link.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It deserved its own thread because I felt like starting one and Hot Stove doesn't scream "baseball' Simple as that. But hey, next time I start a thread I'll check with you to make sure its OK. How's that?

You know,it's like Boom starting one on Ryota Igarashi. But I guess it's because Boom is from NYC and the Mets are a NY based team. How parochial of him.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's a hot stove thread. But I would think a trade of this magnitude deserves its own thread. JR can fight his own battles, but I completely agree with him here.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

The true power of baseball:

Old Tony agrees with JR.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

:D :D

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Seriously? Every baseball fan knows Hot Stove is the baseball offseason.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

A lot of people don't read the running baseball threads because they devolve into the same arguments or pissing matches most of the time. Also, there's nothing wrong with breaking out a bigger story. This is one of the best pitchers in baseball getting traded, why shouldn't it get its own thread?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If Lee is moving as well, it's two of the best pitchers in baseball.

Plus, this makes Seattle very, very strong and a monster in a five or seven-game series.

I would have moved heaven and earth to try and keep Lee and Halladay together if I was Philadelphia, even if it meant trading a player like Utley.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My work here is done and hell has frozen over.:)

Anyway, Richard Giffin, Toronto Star baseball guy, has a pretty good column on the trade.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/bluejays/royhalladay/article/739423--griffin-halladay-winner-of-huge-trade

We've always been taught that Toronto is an Iroquois word meaning "meeting place".

It actually means "rebuilding place".

Good thing the Bills haven't moved to Toronto. Then we'd have some of the worst teams in the four major sports.

Throw in Toronto Rock lacrosse, Toronto FC and the Toronto Argonauts and we've pretty much nailed it as the worst sports city in North America.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Great breakdown of the deal by Griffin.
    Since the Phils got three prospects from Seattle and sent three to Toronto, it is, indeed Lee for Halladay from the Phillies, side.
    And the numbers Griffin provides shows who is the better pitcher:

Following is a brief, but telling, Tale of the Tape in support of the Good Doctor.

Halladay: 32, 6-foot-6, 225 pounds; 148-76, 3.43 career ERA
    Lee: 31, 6-3, 190; 90-53, 3.97

Consider that against the big boys of the AL East, the Red Sox and the Yankees, Halladay is 32-20, 3.59 in 516 2/3 innings. Lee is 6-8, 4.69 in 107 1/3.

But against the sad-sack Kansas City Royals, combined with the generally lighter-hitting lineups of the NL, Lee is 31-11, 3.65 in 359 2/3 innings. Halladay is 26-11, 2.90 in 322 1/3. Doc's had stiffer career competition and excelled.

Draft saved Draft deleted