1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

First Thanksgiving in a new home in a new town, where the only people we know are colleagues. Baby MMQB made the 10-hour drive from college to check out the new digs, so we weren't alone. A retired couple that works part-time for me invited us over, and their young grandchildren were crawling all over us within a half hour. It was nice to feel like family.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Had a blended Thanksgiving with my mom and the ladyfriend’s mom and bro, and it went surprisingly well (as in, no one killed each other).

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Had my parents, and an elderly neighbor who doesn’t have anyone other than a daughter who lives in a distant state, over. We shared some laughs.

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

We had 25 people at our normal Thanksgiving family feast in a decidedly Red house. Fortunately, nobody brought up politics all day, thankfully for our Blue faction of the family.

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Had Thanksgiving lunch at my sis in laws house with my wife, son, sis in law, fiance, her 3 kids, mother and father in law.
    Then had Thanksgiving dinner at my Grandmothers house with my 85 year old Grandmother, my parents, sis and her two daughters, 2 aunts and uncles, and a couple of cousins.
    There came a point last evening that I wasn't even hungry, yet I just kept shoveling the food down my gullet.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The security job was easy but boring. In that position, I'm supposed to check out cars as they leave to go to different places, but with no drivers working, no cars left. There was a tow truck that dropped one off and another guy who was working left to go to lunch, but that was it.

I hit IHOP on the way home.

My brother's father-in-law passed on Wednesday. I usually go to his place on Thanksgiving after my game, but I didn't know what his plans were. That's why I decided to work when I was asked.

My high school reunion is tonight. I'm giving it a miss. A good number of them are Trumpers and I'm just not in the mood.

I'll find something else to do that I'll enjoy.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nah. The grease/butter quotient in the stuffing and gravy-ladled potatoes should keep the product moving smoothly.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Mom hosted 16 of us; cousins, grandkids, sis’s family, my family; my inlaws, I got to carve the 20 lb turkey; Damn carving is hard work!! Had a blast.

OscarMadison and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's why you wear your Thanksgiving pants with the loose waistband. It's politer than unbuttoning your pants.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Like buttah.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Tell me about it. The need struck with the ferocity of Wal-Mart Black Friday shoppers trying to breakdown the doors at about 8pm. Quickly said goodnight to my family and hauled the 20 minutes to the homebowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted