1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Slapsgiving, General Idea....HIMYM thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Nov 19, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Once again, How I Met Your Mother was pretty damn predictable tonight. And once again, I laughed anyway.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I haven't seen that show since the first or second episode. What have I missed?

3. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Predictable? Yes. Still funny? Heck yeah.

My only wish is that we, too, didn't know when the slap was coming. I understand this whole episode was about the slap and all, just wish we didn't know when it was going to happen.

4. outofplace

FuerteJ, true, but that was the joke...the buildup. I remember discovering a while ago that they really set up www.slapbet.com. The humor works.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ummm, slapsgiving? I thought this holiday was 21's moment

6. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Oh, i'm not denying it was funny tonight. I laughed. I seriously love the slap bet idea.

And slappy, how's it shakin up yonder?

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was thinking 'Beat flew off the handle.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Many of you may want to check out the music video of "You Just Got Slapped":

http://www.youtube.com/howimetyourmother

I thought it was a very funny episode. Not as funny as the original "Slap Bet", obviously, but a worthy follow-up.

I think the show has been pretty solid of late.

[​IMG]

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought that the episode was terrible. Why was Marshall so mean -- it was more sadistic than funny? Why weren't any of the 4 Americans going to see their families? Why was this their first grown up Thanksgiving? The lyrics of the song were funny, but him singing seemed so out of place and stupid. I've said this before -- the show takes a dip when it plays Barney for a fool.

It is in danger of being dropped from the DVR list.

10. outofplace

Wait...you are actually bothering to look for plot holes on How I Met Your Mother? No wonder you were disappointed.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When on its game, the writing on the show is super sharp. Compare the set up of the Robin Sparkles video with Marshall's song. Sure it was convoluted, but there was a context for Robin's (funnier) song. Marshall's just seemed plopped in the episode.

12. outofplace

They have definitely gone for more over-the-top humor this season, a development I'm not particularly fond of. The show isn't as good as it was. But as long as I'm still laughing, I'm still watching.

Draft saved Draft deleted