1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Sedition Surrender Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Please take this joke in stride, everybody:

We’re dangerously close to this thread looking like a University of Michigan football message board.

Liut and maumann like this.
  2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

My favorite pastime is to go up to anyone with a Confederate flag on their vehicle and ask if they might have a $5 bill in their pocket. Or a penny.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I guess going with a George Thomas reference woulda been to obscure ...

hickory_smoke likes this.
  5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I've always been a big Civil War history guy, and a history guy in general, and a year or two ago I really got into joining Facebook groups.

There are some truly incredible ones... I joined one dedicated to WW2 Battleships and Battlecruisers, and it's literally daily posts masturbating about the Bismark, Yamato and the US Iowa-class battleships. All day, every day, same people, same ships, same conversations.

Another is "Aviation Archeology" or something, where they hunt down (mostly) WW2 crashes and a lot of the people in the group are actively involved in rebuilding those planes. People post some random piece of aluminum or steel and people will pinpoint what part of what plane it's from, "Ah, that's the bracket that held the fuel tank on a Spitfire, probably built between April and June, 1941."

So I joined ALL these Facebook groups that fit my historic interests and stumbled into a couple of Southern sympathizing Civil War groups.

I know some of you live down there so this isn't news, but holy shit. Ho. Ly. Shit. They spend hours and hours each day convincing themselves the war wasn't about slavery, posting clips from old books, posting old speeches, dismantling arguments they've been battered with elsewhere. They post about how great Nathan Bedford Forrest was 2-3-4 times a day. Every day. There are at least 3-4 posts a week about black Confederates and, less often but still existing, posts about how slaves didn't have it bad, etc.

There's a ... professionalism? to some of the leaders that's chilling, and an intensity from many of them that's disgusting.

I keep almost quitting the group but haven't. It's like rubbernecking a car wreck. It's the same as reading the comments on a Breitbart article or reading a QAnon message board. I'm fascinated at how insane people can be, at the way they can contort their perspective to justify basically anything.

There are groups on the other side, too, believe it or not. One guy about started Civil War, Rnd 2 the other day when he praised a particular artillery officer for "turning Confederates attacking in Pickett's Charge into pink mist."

Anyway, sad day for the fucking sadistic, racist pieces of shit of the world.

6. Justin_Rice

The people who live in the red confuse the shit out of me.

upload_2021-4-9_12-8-13.png

HanSenSE, garrow and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They might have officially surrendered but the insurgency continues.

8. Justin_Rice

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This whole thing is to be continued.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

As a white guy, I'm always amazed at the slack a lot of white historical figures get cut.

Imagine if it was the same for African-American ones:

"George Washington Carver was a pioneering African American scientist who developed ways to fight soil depletion.

Controversially, he also kept a number of white teenage boys locked up down in his cellar. However, historians say this was standard practice at the time and even when you throw in the rapes, should in no way reflect upon his character or legacy."

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think the assassination of Lincoln is the most tragic death in American history. Not only because the country lost a great man and a great leader but because his successor's were Andrew Johnson and Grant. Johnson was a bigoted man who had no sympathy for the freed slaves and was a Democrat with a hostile, Republican congress and Grant, who had the rare quality to become a better human as he aged was to politically inept.

Justin_Rice and maumann like this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

4FD0BF15-AED9-473D-B1F2-BE4CC42E6133.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted