1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy PACZKI day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Feb 24, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's because you're not Polish

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No, but I grew up in a Polish neighborhood. Well, my subdivision had a lot of Polish families, guess that doesn't really count as a "neighborhood" in that there weren't Polish bakeries or anything around, just houses.

Never mind. :D

3. I grew up in a Chicago Polish neighborhood, surrounded by Polish bakeries and restaurants and St. Stanislaus Church. I've heard of and eaten myriad Polish foods. And I've never heard of Paczkis.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm going to give up sacrifice for Lent.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a regional thing. We have a huge Polish population here in Toronto and you see them in just about every Polish bakery.

Maybe they just called them donuts. :)

6. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

I also grew up in a Chicago Polish neighborhood, surrounded by Polish bakeries and restaurants and Polish Catholic parishes and have eaten paczki all my life. Of course we're smarter people on the southside of town, as we know that last Thursday was Paczki Day in Poland (always the Thursday before Ash Wednesday) and Paczki Day in America is on always celebrated on Fat Tuesday. We also support the White Sox instead of that crappy team in Wrigleyville. :)

As far as paczki choices, last Thursday I had both the custard filled with powdered sugar and strawberry filled with powdered sugar from the Racine Bakery on S. Archer Avenue on the southwest side of Chicago. Both varieties were terrific. Today's paczek (singular - 1 is a paczek, 2 or more are paczki) was a custard filled with chocolate icing from Ingram's Busy Bee Bakery in Downers Grove. The paczki from the Racine Bakery were better than the paczek from Downers Grove.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Used to get great Paczki's in Toledo....yum....

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fair enough. They gave up on you opening night.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Ah, what a happy Fat Tuesday it was, even though I had to work and couldn't drink. I had one paczki with custard filling that was awesome. I think it was the real thing from Hamtramck, Mustang. And then the editor in chief's wife, who apparently is a New Orleans native, had ordered three King Cakes for the newsroom, delivered from a New Orleans bakery. They were tremendous. Good thing it's Lent tomorrow, I'm gonna need the cutoff!

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Only thing I'm doing for Fat Tuesday is two free tacos from Jack in the Crack.

http://coupon.hangintherejack.com

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's gotta be better than Goatse Day.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

OK, who here can properly pronounce Paczki?

Draft saved Draft deleted