1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy NonHoliday!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Oct 12, 2009.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Cool! A non-holiday on my unbirthday!

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

How about honoring all the explorers in world history by calling this Explorer's Day?

That might remove some of the stench of Christopher Columbus from those who object to honoring him.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I daresay there weren't a lot of explorers who were much better than Cristobal Colon, tho.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I don't think that we can lay all the ills that happened in the new world at Columbus' feet.

Sooner or later some other man would have refused to stop and ask for directions and stumbled upon it.

Then, as we almost always do, the stronger and more technologically advanced would have exploited those they could.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I know of schools that just refer to the weekend as 'October Break' instead of Columbus Day.

First, they go after Columbus Day ... what's next? Christmas? :)

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Why not make a whole week of it and call it Fall Break or Mid-Autumn Vacation or somesuch?

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Amen. I got a four-day out of this thing.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I always thought he spit in the face of people who don't want to be cool.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

When I think of Columbus Day, I think about The Sopranos ...

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hell, the local library was open yesterday and they lock the doors for Flag Day Eve or the sparest holiday imaginable.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yep, me, too. And that's why we have Columbus Day, because Italian Catholics (spearheaded by the Knights of Columbus) wanted a holiday of their own ...

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The kids already get a ton of time off. They just get the one day in Elem. and HS. In college, we had Tuesday off as well, to use as a travel day. But the school didn't shut down, unlike other vacation breaks. Students could remain on campus if they wanted, and some dining halls remained open.

Draft saved Draft deleted