1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy NonHoliday!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I buzzed by the bank on the way to work to get some money from he ATM and saw the shades drawn. That's when I remembered it was Columbus Day. A day like any other for me, except the bank is closed and I won't get any mail.

I won't even have time today to discover an Indian, take his land, give him a disease and make him change his religion.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dude, you should ALWAYS make time for that. Your forefathers DIED so that you could enjoy those privileges!

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Happy Genocide Day!

Listened to an NPR thingy on Buffy Sainte Marie on the way back from lunch. I now feel guilty -- but full.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If we can't get the day off to celebrate a lost Italian discovering islands in the Caribbean for Spain, then this isn't America!

5. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I think we should celebrate him just for discovering the Caribbean.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Argh. One more day where the check isn't in the mail.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

This is the reason I don't leave my house on Columbus Day -- no interest in being discovered.

The only thing about this day for me is it reminds me of SOC 204 in college. The crazy prof (who was very proud of the fact that he had an FBI file) always taught one class about why Christopher Columbus was not a hero, but really just a douchey man-whore. Not in those exact words, of course, but it was the point he was getting at.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What does he have against douchey man-whores? I mean, if you discriminate against all of them, that's half of Hollywood right there.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'll be covering a game on the reservation tomorrow night, so I could get a late genocide in. But most of them could probably take me. Maybe there will be a slow, young kid running around.

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

why do we celebrate Columbus day when Leif Eriscon arrived in the New World waaaaay before Columbus set sail? One of those Discovery Channel shows said he used Viking maps in charting out his voyage.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

As a gubmint worker, I am in favor of naming more federal holidays after murderous man whores.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Don't we already have a Canadian Thanksgiving thread? [/duckingiceskates]

Draft saved Draft deleted