1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy New Year to All

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I love NY but don't like Times Square on the most mild and uncrowded day of the year. I could not imagine being there on New Year's Eve. Saw it on TV last night and said, "Nope, no way." Even in my younger days, many moons ago, it didn't hold much appeal.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Bubbler, new Playboy columnist.

3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Speaking of not holding much appeal, not only won't I ever GO to Times Square on New Year's Eve, I don't even watch it anymore. I may be strange and different, but I find it boring and I don't like the music. Instead, I watched Young Frankenstein on Fox Movie Channel last night, cracking up, as usual, when Peter Boyle and Gene Wilder sang Puttin' On The Ritz.

Other than drinking (which I can't do anymore) and puking (which I haven't done in about 20 years), what were others of you doing on the countdown moment? And that's another thing. I don't need the stupid countdown, I have a clock and I can tell time so I know when it's midnight.

Sorry, that's my New Year's Eve outlook.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Happy NewYear, SportsJournalists.commers.

Best dysfunctional family on the 'Net.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

The early start was last Friday on my birthday. The room just stopped spinning on Thursday. I was the sober one last night.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Happy New Year to all. And I'm glad we're not yelling at one another today. My head hurts, and I'm still searching for the cat that shit in my mouth last night after I went to sleep.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Hoppin' John, greens, ham, cornbread, sweet tea.

Heaven.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

At least you got some pussy. :D

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

my sentiments exactly.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

So you have no interest in seeing the clock tick down on TV?

When I write it, I realize how silly it sounds: Watching a clock tick down on TV when you've got several clocks in the house. But watching the new year begin on TV--and it doesn't have to be ABC--IS New Year's to me. When I was six or seven, it was a ginormous deal to be allowed to stay up and count down the final seconds until midnight. I guess I'm so fond of it because it's my first New Years Eve memory. The only time I missed it, we were in Times Square.

I have zero interest in partying into the New Year, but I'll always want to watch the final half-hour of the year on TV.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Sorry, BYH, I think it must be a generational thing. When you get to be 60 (that's right), watching a clock count down seems silly to me.

Happy 2007.

Draft saved Draft deleted