1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy New Year, jerks.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mike311gd, Dec 31, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Remember when you didn't know me? Yeah. That was a good time. ...

Before I split town, I just want to thank everyone for everything you've given me over the last year. I've been on here a ridiculous amount of time and made an obscene number of posts, but it's not my fault. I blame you people.

Each day, I wake up, scratch myself in a new place and log onto this beautiful site; not to pad my numbers -- although I do that, too -- but to see what I can learn. If you get past the pettiness and the garbage -- most of it's funny, some of it's my mess -- this is such a great place, and it's because of the people.

I really feel that I'm a stronger writer, journalist and, more important, a better person for showing myself around here. I've become somewhat of a loner since moving away from my home in 2005. Not many friends around, family in a different state and a lack of funds can do that to a person. But if not for the lovely people here, I'd be even further removed from civilization, I'm sure.

Whether it's buckweaver challenging my baseball knowledge; IJAG keeping me on my toes in almost every way possible; Songbird making me wish I were him for at least a day; Angola's lead-by-example method of what not to do when drinking; Dools' quick wit; Tom Petty and jps' refusal to acknowledge the shift keys; Friend of a Friend's intermittent sexual threats; the way spnited (knowledge), Zeke (humor and intelligence), Double Down (writing) and Bubbler (writing and thought) make me jealous; Beaks, Jake, Trey, Ross and KY -- and many, many others -- for always being up for a sidebar conversation on sitcoms; Dickens' and Ace's razor sharp wit; F_T's perseverance; Sportschick's love for all things Kevin Smith; HB's quiet pursuit of Sarah Chalke; BBAM's infuriating "Preppy" comments; Chef's toe; Sxysprtswrtr's PMs (not PMS); Flash's Friends give-and-takes; ArnoldBabar's ... well, you'll all see on Feb. 21 ...; DemoChristian's Seinfeld and Clerks set-ups; or BYH just trying my patience and sanity ... I'm just extremely grateful to be around you slugs.

This is my 17,360th post of the year for which I partly blame Football_Bat and his chart; man, is that incredible or what? I might be back to add to that total, but if not, have a good night and a better year. With any luck, I'll be here on Dec. 31, 2009, to continue the celebration.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You're the best looser I know, Mikey.

Don't go hide in a refrigerator.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

OK, maybe I'm out of the loop, but can someone fill me in on where Mikey's going till Feb. 21? Mike, as long as you think someone knows the answer, you shouldn't answer so that your post count stays at a nice, even 25,000 (BTW, congrats on post No. 25,000 :D )

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You pick a day, and we'll switch, buddy. (But can you handle a Songbirdian adventure?)

Mazel tov from me, and a few of your friends.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Link?

Seriously, Happy New Year, and here's hoping TV Land never gets caught in a provider/cable pissing match.

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Wait, you're leaving SJ?

That sucks, Mikey. :(

If this site has taught us anything it's that BYH needs more nemeses, not less.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wait what? Mikey can't leave this site. He's the one who had my back when I got in squabbles with the Good Doc and when I made a poor taste joke about Heath Ledger after he died.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Happy New Year, dude. May your cable never go out.

And, by the way, my wit is razor sharp, but Dickens will leave you with little toilet paper squares stuck to your chin.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mikey isn't leaving. He's going out of town for the night to party with some friends. Feb. 21 is Fresca day. He'll be back posting tomorrow, if not sooner.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hopefully I've taught people what to do when they are drunk as well.

This also confirms my suspicion that mikey is also goldeaston.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wonder what a Fresca-champagne combo tastes like.

12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

But it's Charmin Extra Soft, so you have that going for you at least.

Draft saved Draft deleted