1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Mardi Gras

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Feb 20, 2007.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Went in 1999. Everthing was cool until that $9 hurricane. Then things went kinda sideways for the rest of the night.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Don't have to go during Mardi Gras. You could go during Halloween, affectionately deemed the "Gay Mardi Gras"

That is quite fun, too!

3. I went to New Orleans a few years ago when I was 18. Me and my buddies walked into a bar, when a bouncer stopped me and asked for ID. Um, yeah, I don't have any. So I pretend to start looking for it, hoping to stall for a good excuse when he says "just hurry up and show me something so I can keep the line moving."

I gave him my old Pittsburgh library card...

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That place gets so packed.
    They just need to put up ropes and motorized walkways -- "On the left, you'll see boobs. DRINK THIS HAND GRENADE!!! On the right, more boobs..."

5. John

John Well-Known Member

You mean the pleasure of sitting next to me today at the state tournament wasn't enough to make you forget about missing Mardi Gras? That really hurts.

Of course since your laptop died right after you got here, I don't even know why I'm typing this.

6. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

On one of my many visits to New Orleans, a cab driver imparted these wonderful words of wisdom:

"Hurricanes are like women's breasts. One is not enough and three is too many."

How right he was.

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Better yet, go to New Orleans for the Jazz Fest. Final weekend in April. First weekend in May. Allman Brothers are coming back this year.

8. The only place in the world this country where you can stroll by a cop while smoking a joint but don't you dare piss on a building or they will beat you down like a dog.

9. busuncle

busuncle Member

It's NOPD, so the cops may beat you down like a dog for any reason they feel like. They can also shoot you repeatedly in the back, especially if you're mentally retarded.

But having both smoked and pissed in N.O. (and having friends who have done the same), I can tell you that either is an arrestable offense that I would try to avoid it if at all possible.

10. Sorry ... I was speaking from experience ...

added: Well, at least about the part where I practically standing in front of a cop smoking on a doobie ... I didn't get the piss beat out of me for ... you know ... but a friend did ... the place needs bathrooms.

11. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I've seen it spelled both ways. I'll stick with what I've got.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I rode on a Mardi Gras float for the first time yesterday. Granted, it was Biloxi, but it was still pretty neat. I needed to buy more beads to throw, however. The newspaper supplied a bunch, but it's addictive throwing that stuff out. Crowd estimates were 75,000 there, so I can't imagine what it's like to see a NOLA crowd from a float.

Draft saved Draft deleted