1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy Left-Hander's Day!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Aug 13, 2014.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm only a lefty for when I need a stranger! :)

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm 100 percent lefty. My right hand is about as useless as a righty's left hand.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes. I remember long ago one of my co-workers had a son and told me he would always put things in the baby's left hand, hoping the kid would become left-handed. The idea was that he'd make the boy into a left-handed pitcher so he would always be employed.

We both moved on from that shop shortly afterward, so I have no idea if he was successful.

4. Zero chance of playing 2nd base and .0005 percent playing catcher. :(

#BobbyGrichwannabe

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Benny smiles.

This story is 5 years old. Love this line: "Like Ladies Night and pitchers named Wilbur, left-handed catchers are effectively extinct ... "

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/sports/baseball/16catcher.html?_r=0

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Smi-diddly-ing today!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Rush Limbaugh HATES today I bet!

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

also an increased likelihood of being President
    In the last 40 years we've had a whopping two right-handed Presidents (Carter and W). Two were ambidextrous (Ford and Reagan) and three were lefties (HW, Clinton and Obama).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handedness_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States

9. joe

joe Active Member

My wife is left-handed. The one before her is left-handed. And the one three before her is left-handed. Apparently I attract left-handed women. What that says about them or me, I don't know.

A righty, I can do many things lefty, such as drive a nail, shoot a basketball, kick a puppy, etc.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Have always done some things left-handed, although I could never write or bat lefty. Always threw a football left-handed (albeit badly) and shot a basketball left-handed (again, badly). I also always used a fork with my left hand, even if there was no knife, and I never did the switching thing. Don't use a spoon lefty, though.

I have twin sisters, one of whom is left-handed, the other right-handed.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

No stranger jokes yet? So disappointed in you all.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Did anybody else have parents who were forced at school into being right-handed? My father was. The upside is that as kids, he could play catch individually with my brother and I, and he didn't have to buy a glove. He'd borrow my brother's when throwing to me, and borrow mine when he threw to my brother. (Yes, he had small hands.)

Draft saved Draft deleted